When I was 16 I received Davey as a birthday gift. He was so tiny and cute. I loved him (Well, I thought he was a girl at the time) so much. Since then, we have moved to Memphis, back to Winder, and then to Fort Valley. We had been through a lot. When I was younger, and upset, I used to bury my face in his fur. He was always so warm and cuddly. . . always a constant friend.
Well, since we've moved here, and with Benjamin now, we haven't been able to give Davey the attention he needs. I've been feeling guilty about it for a long while. I contemplated setting him free, setting him up on Craigslist. . . everything. I just couldn't bear to not see him again though if he went to a stranger. What if they didn't treat him right? What if they didn't give him his favorite snacks?
We have good friends here in Fort Valley. A family from church said they would take him in. They live on a farm with a lot of animals and said Davey would have his own pen. They wouldn't eat him, but they'd use him for breeding (and consequently eat his offspring).
We took him over to their neighbor's house yesterday, another couple we know, who agreed to keep him while the people who are taking him get a pen set up for him (they can't put him in with other male rabbits or they will castrate him). It was so difficult. It's like saying goodbye to an arm or a leg. . . I've just had him so long. . .
When we came home I passed the empty cage on the porch. . . I feel so depressed. I wonder how he did, if he had enough food or water, last night. Was he scared by the other animal noises? Did he wonder where his friends were? Did he wonder where his bed was?
Yesterday we took his farewell pictures.
Good-bye, old friend. . . we'll visit you. Monday, your birthday, we will bring you a special treat.
I love you, Davey Frisky-Nibbles Havoc Jenkins. You were the best rabbit a girl could ever hope for. I hope you enjoy your new home and have a lot of fun with new friends.
I think he'll be alright. He had a bigger waterbottle (that didn't leak) a bigger food trough.
ReplyDeleteI bet he's already made some good friends, just not as good as you.
I'm so sorry Kristin. I felt your pain and cried with you as I read your blog. I hope he is having a good time and getting yummy treats.
ReplyDeleteAwwww :( I'm sorry you had to give him away.
ReplyDelete