We may not all have a whole lot in common with each other, as in interests and things like that. But there is at least one thing that we all inevitably have in common with one another and that is that we are all human, and we all as humans make mistakes. Even those of us {meaning, myself included} who hate to admit that we make mistakes … I am saying right now that we, I, do. I know you are thinking, duh. We all know that. There is probably not one person who honestly believes that they are never, ever at fault for anything, ever. The Bible even says, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” {1 John 1:8}
I’m thinking about me here. You’ll have to excuse me for a moment. But I mean … I have made a lot of mistakes. I mean a lot. I am not proud of any of them, and I have hopefully learned from them {although sometimes the lesson needs to be heard more than once … but like I said, I’m human}. And what … I don’t know if this is the right word, but what baffles me is how patient God is with me. With me. I’m a mother of a nearly 3-year-old {don’t go gettin' teary-eyed on me, now, Kristen!} and I have a new puppy who pushes my buttons and things get ‘hairy’ around here {especially lately with my brand-new Achilles tendinitis, YAY D:} … and I admit that patience is not always my strong point … okay, hardly ever. But God… God is so patient with me, even when I make the same mistakes over and over and over. Do you know what some of my favorite verses are?
“For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” - Romans 5:6-8
While WE {you, me, everyone!} were yet sinners, Christ DIED {not only died, but faced the most excruciatingly painful death known to man!!} for US {the UNGODLY!}. Why? Because He LOVES us.
I feel like you could knock me down with a feather every time I read that passage.
I am soooo not perfect, but because of verses like these, I want to try my hardest. It’s only right, right?
Thank God for second chances!! And third, and fourth, and fifth…
But with that we also have to remember that some day there may not be another chance… “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment” Hebrews 9:27; “Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.” James 4:14
I was reminded about this tonight as we watched two very dear friends get remarried – to each other. And I was thinking how powerful forgiveness is, and love, and the desire to reconcile with each other even when the most unthinkable have come between two people. But think about it. Doesn’t God do that every time we sin and then come back to Him in repentance? Amazing.
It just … wow. Amazing.
-----------------------------------------------
And I just wanted, while I have your attention {that is, if} to say that I was featured over at Marli’s blog and I am so humbled by being featured over there! You should definitely check out her blog – she is such a sweet young woman! We don’t know each other very well but I love her dearly and her sweet sister Memory too.
amazing thoughts, kristen.
ReplyDeleteit was my honor to be able to feature you! we are blessed to know your little family. :)
Thanks Marli! <3
ReplyDeletei can't wait to keep reading your blog!! i wish i had time to sit down and read in depth your thoughts on this post, but i'm off to a girl's day at an area church! i'll be back soon... :)
ReplyDeleteI'm right there with you! So thankful for His forgiveness!
ReplyDeleteWhat happened to your Achilles tendons? I hope you feel better soon! I understand the pain - as random as this sounds, I had a bed fall on my Achilles tendons when I was a teenager (I was sitting on the bed with my feet/ankles kind of tucked under it and a friend jumped on the bed causing it to fall). Caused me soo much pain and many many doctors appointments. I still have pain once in awhile from it, but thankfully they healed without surgery or anything like that.
Praying for you, girl!