4.19.2010

Far Above Rubies: Proverbs 31:10

Far Above Rubies


I am so excited to start this segment on my blog. For all of you women who are joining in this study, thank you so much! I really hope that we can all grow as Christian women through this study. For those of you who are new to my blog, I am very honored that you have come over. We are going to take one verse per week focusing on being the Christian women that God wants us to be. I will post the verse, and my own thoughts on the verse. The comments will be open for discussion and I hope that we can all discuss and grow together! Please join in on the discussion! And if you have a blog and would like to make your own post with your thoughts on the verse of the week, please do so! If you do this, say so in the comments and I will put up links of those who post! If enough people do this, I'll put up a MckLinky next time. :)

Anyway, let's get started!



The first thing that struck me when I read this verse was this: A virtuous wife is not common, or else her worth would not be so much. This was true back when the words were written, and I fully believe that this is true now! Things that are less common have more worth, while in contrast things which are more common have less worth - that's where the term "cheap as dirt" came from.



This is what Merriam-Webster had to say about the word "Virtuous":

1 : potent, efficacious
2 a : having or exhibiting virtue b : morally excellent : righteous {a virtuous decision}
3 : chaste
synonyms see moral
— vir·tu·ous·ly adverb
— vir·tu·ous·ness noun

I love this word virtuous because I feel like it just blankets all that a Christian should be. Morally excellent... someone who believes and LIVES morally. In all aspects. It makes me think about what sort of word people may associate with me as a Christian. I really, really would love to be called virtuous.

Reading this verse reminded me about how so many people like to say that the Bible oppresses women or puts the as being inferior - this verse says the complete opposite! It is very apparent that a godly woman is very precious, to treasure - a godly woman has worth beyond measure! If anything, the Bible should be empowering to women - especially empowering them to strive to be godly, virtuous women. When I read this, it doesn't make me feel like God or man {as in gender, not mankind} is trying to pull me under or oppress me. It makes me really want to be that virtuous woman, so my husband can say, "I found her, the virtuous woman! I am the richest man on the earth!"



How do you think we can become more virtuous, as Christian women? What are your thoughts on this verse? Let's discuss it!
-------

Read Dawn's Post Here!
Read Joy's Post Here!
Read Holly's Post Here!
Read Ruby's Post Here!
Read Lisa's Post Here!

post signature

45 comments:

  1. I found my way over here from Lisa's blog and I'm so happy I did. The thing I have always wondered about this verse is why the writer used rubies. What was the rare jewel market like back then to make rubies so valuable. Were diamonds around then? Were rubies even more precious than saphires or diamonds? It's just a question that I think I'll have to do some more study on.
    Also, I love that virtuous means potent and efficacious. To me, this means that everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis, no matter how limited the interaction, should be able to see that I strive to be "morally excellent".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming over and participating! I really appreciate it!

    I asked my husband the very same thing when I was studying the verse Saturday night. We came to the conclusion that the writer is just trying to get the point across that a virtuous wife is more precious and valuable than worldly riches. Why he used rubies? Well, I don't know! I do know that it was a precious stone back then, as it still is now. But I do think that the point he is just trying to get across isn't so much as how valuable the stone was, but just that the virtuous woman is so much more valuable than worldly riches in general.

    You make a wonderful point! When the Bible tells us not to be a part of the world, but apart from the world, morally excellent - do people see this in me? Perhaps in the way we treat other people around us, or how we speak to our family and loved ones. How we handle ourselves in stressful situations. How we dress, talk, act. A friend and I were speaking one time about how just the way you stand can say so much about yourself. Like the models in magazines who wear their short clothing and stand with their legs very much apart - is that ladylike?

    All aspects of our life, big and small, should show people that we are striving to be morally excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts Kristen!

    Before I read yours, I had my own thoughts up at www.wordinmyheart.blogspot.com.

    I'm really glad you started this!!! :) Next week I will be out of town and probably won't be able to post, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you - It's rare and difficult to find an excellent/virtuous wife. And if it was hard then, it's likely even harder today. One definition of "excellent" I saw was "possessing outstanding quality or superior merit". I think people often have a tendency to compare themselves to others, and say something like, "Well, I'm no worse than her!", etc., but how many actually try to possess "superior merit", instead of just "okay", or "good" merit?
    Reading even just this one verse brings such a powerful image to my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've brought out some great lessons here! Very good thoughts. I'm going to try to do some posts as we go along, as well, but tonight I'm going to start with just commenting. (it's already nearly 11pm here, and my brain is a tad fuzzy! :)

    I always think it's interesting to see some different translations of words when I'm studying a verse. The word translated "virtuous" in the KJV is "worthy" in the ASV, while the ESV says "excellent." Strong's also includes valor, strength and substance... among other things. And I think that those subtle ideas are all part of being a virtuous woman! In order to become more virtuous, we need to try to cultivate all of those traits...

    We have to be willing to truly strive for moral excellence, as you said so well. We need to be courageous and strong under pressure of all kinds. We should have a depth about us that makes people take notice - not because of our own merit but because we are reflecting Christ! A woman who is living out those qualities is definitely rare and valuable! There's a lot to work on there for me, I know, but it's a goal that I know is attainable (after all, it says "virtuous," not "perfect" - thankfully!) and one that I really, really want to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great start to the study. My comments can be found here: http://alifeofjoy.blogspot.com/2010/04/worthy-woman.html You are so right in your observations in that the world often thinks that the Bible puts women in an inferior position, but nothing could be further from the truth. True freedom for women comes when they embrace the position God has designed for us.

    Great job, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I plan to write a post about this and come back and comment . . . I just haven't had a chance to gather my thoughts for the day yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Throughout the Proverbs the son is warned to stay away from the 'strange woman' which makes this Proverb all the more meaningful. In this Proverb the son is given the traits he should look for and how highly he should value them when they are found.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was reading your comments I started to wonder about rubies, because most people consider diamonds to be more valuable, including myself. I did some studying and I kept coming up with the same conclusion that the word rubies could mean pearls, which at this time were worth more than other precious stones. This helps me to see that a husband will sacrifice for his wife, because rubies were costly but treasured at the same time. I want to be a woman who is treasured and therefore taken care of by the one who loves me. Even better than this however, is what one commentary said. We are bought with a price, a price far above rubies or any other physical thing, and that is Christ’s blood. This makes me want to not only be that virtuous woman for my future husband but for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for joining in, Dawn! I am so glad that you did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of people do like to just skim by with the least possible that they have to do, and I find that sad. We should always want to be our very, very best. This verse reminds me! Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Understandable, Julia! I look forward to your posts when you can!

    You're so right... there are so many pressures now days, and we need to be courageous to stand against them as Christian women.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for your input Mrs. Joy! I am so glad that you wrote a post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, Lisa! I look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exactly - I want to fulfill those traits, and along with that I want so much to be able to tell Benjamin to look for these sorts of traits in his future wife, and to really treasure such a wife. I want him to have a wife that is worthy of being treasured like this! And the greatest way to show him what to look for is for me to exemplify that in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love, love, love what you have come up with here. I think you have really hit that point home really well. Christ's blood is far more precious than anything on this earth, and with it He bought us! And you are so right - we shouldn't only strive to be virtuous for our husbands, or future husbands, but for Christ because of His sacrifice.

    I believe that God instituted marriage as a parallel to the Church's relationship with Christ - and that could also be seen here. As the church, shouldn't we all strive to be morally excellent, worthy, virtuous, for our Husband, the Christ?

    You bring out so many wonderful thoughts here - thank you for commenting, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay so I am new to this blog thing for this ol country girl is learning slowly so bear with me.

    I have always loved this verse as I have grown more as a christian and mainly because of the writer and his determination in finding that excellent wife, and then to say her worth is more than rubies is a big quest. I know that in my 6 years of marriage and the 5 years of dating, Mark and I talked about our christian walk together many times. How we would raise our children and how we would handle our christin walk with each other. I think about the writer and how he is looking for the precious stone, that excellent but not perfect women. I think not only should we look for out mate in the same sence weather male or female but for the companionship you share with each other. Being virtous is a hard job as a women, wife, mother, sibling, co-worker, or just in any everyday life experience we are given. I know that I try each and everyday to be that virtous wife to my husband and to be that virtous child to God.

    I hope that I have posted a thought you were looking for and not looking to far into the verse itself but the other verses that after the one mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of good stuff here, comments included!
    How can we become more virtuous? I'm trying to become morally excellent with baby steps. These are things I am not very good at and things I'm trying to work on: reading the Bible every day, telling God thank you when thankful, making it to church every week (on time). It won't only help with my relationship with God, it will help with my other relationships. I'll be able to follow God better, I'll find it easier to thank people around me and I'll be on time/show up for things outside of church.
    Once I get a better grip on these things, I can start to work on other areas that will make me rich in spirit and have a worth above worldly things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I was thinking about this verse, it made me think of the work that goes into getting and making a beautiful ruby. Just as there is work to make it look lovely, it takes work to be the kind of woman that God says that we should be. There is no way that we can become-- or stay-- that beautiful woman unless we work hard following the pattern in Proverbs 31! What a good thing to remember also, that we are worth something, no matter what happens in life-- God considers us precious "stones" if we will follow His word!

    Such a great post, Kristen, and idea, too! And lots of awesome comments! So thankful to have many friends who are "far above rubies"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kristen!!!
    Love this post! :)
    I talked about this verse just a couple of weeks ago with my teen girls! ;) Anyway, something I found fascinating when I looked up the Hebrew for "virtuous" or "excellent" is that it's root word could also be translated "strength, capability, skill, valor, wealth, army, troop, warrior" !!!!!!! I think of a Rosie the Riveter only she is wearing an apron and has a baby on her hip! LOL But you are exactly right...the Bible and His standard is empowering if only we will yield to His plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good thoughts, Kristen! I was struck by what you said about a virtuous woman being uncommon: two things, first we are to be "uncommon" as Christians (in the world, not of the world). This takes conscious effort and choices. Second, the virtuous woman is uncommon, but also doable. We CAN become virtuous women! It takes hard, conscious work (at least for me!) and it takes cognitive decisions. I'm so glad we can work together and help each other along as we strive for the excellence of true godly womanhood! (Heb. 10:24)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi kristen.
    i think that this is a wonderful thing you are doing to start this on-line bible study. what a wonderful way to let your light shine.
    and what an appropriate topic for today's woman. it often feels like we are bombarded with opposing values and ideals on what it is to be a successful woman. but this verse says it all.

    great job.

    i hope to come back often.

    chasity

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so right. It is sometimes hard to be virtuous as a woman, in all our roles, because we have the world working against us. That Devil would want us to be the exact opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maddie, I am so glad you came and joined in!

    It does happen in baby steps. The Bible does say that babes in Christ start out with the milk and move on to the meat after that. Everything happens with time, and we all should just take those steps and strive to be morally excellent. I know that sometimes I can get discouraged because there is something I need to change but it takes so long to get out of habits. But it's taking the steps that matters and they will all eventually lead up to that moral excellence that we are striving to obtain!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this, Kara. You are so right. It takes a lot of work to get to where we need to be. Just like Maddie was saying, it takes all kinds of steps, and eventually it will all lead us to where we need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that you can tie all this together with strength and capability! God's woman is NOT weak or inferior! God's woman is STRONG and MIGHTY. And that is what I want to be. Virtuous, and strong in God's word!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lydia, great thoughts here. I love what you said about it being doable! There are a lot of people who say "I just can't be 'good' because of how bad I've been, or how bad the world is" - God would never ask something of us if it was not obtainable! Thanks so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Chasity, I am so thankful that you joined in! It is very good to meet new friends, especially as we gather around God's word and rightfully divide it to become morally excellent together!

    This verse does say it all - God's woman is worth more than anything in this world. You can only be successful - TRULY successful - in CHRIST!

    I hope you do come back!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. "I found her, the virtuous woman! I am the richest man on the earth!" - LOVE it!
    Thanks for the thoughts Kristen, I really appreciate it! You really made me think about a few things. You helped remoind me of WHAT I am suppose to be!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kristen,

    Thank you for doing this! Just imagine how we can help/encourage each other shine for God and for our husbands - even more brilliant and precious as rubies!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I finally got my thoughts posted: http://beingwhatiwanttobe.blogspot.com/2010/04/proverbs-3110.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry I haven't posted yet...but I've been visiting everyday catching up on these wonderful comments! They are all so enlightening and I've really enjoyed reading them and the other posts.
    I was dissapointed that the study guide I have here at home did not go into very much about this verse or the ones following. To me this has always been such a strong and encouraging piece of scripture for women and a very important one for any man. I pray that I can become that virtous in my life (in all aspects) and that my children will see this in me. I want my boy(s) to look for that in their future wives and I want my daughter to see how significant women are. I loved how you said this in one of many parts of the Bible that should empower us as women. I totally agree! Can't wait to read more comments and thanks for getting this started :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I found my way here via Lisa's blog so, thanks Lisa for posting and thanks Kristen for starting the discussion!

    I've posted my notes / comments here: http://rubymmoore.blogspot.com/2010/04/proverbs-3110.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great comments!! I'll be making my post in just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My post!!!
    http://haasfamilyblessings.blogspot.com/2010/04/far-above-rubies-proverbs-3110.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks so much Holly, wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks so much for joining in! I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your thoughts here Stacia. You make a good point about this being important for any man - it gives them a guideline of what to look for in a woman. I am so glad you joined in!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks so much Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you Jennifer, I am so glad you decided to stop by! It is my prayer that we can encourage each other to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for the comment, Jessica! I hope we can all gain that from this whole study!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really like this section of Holly's post:

    "If you think about it most precious gems don't start out all that beautiful. They are rough and uncut. But through the hands of a skilled person, they go through a process of refining and shaping until the end result is a gem that brilliant and beautiful."

    God can and will make us beautiful in His sight . . . but we have to be willing to put in the effort to become virtuous.

    Thanks for this, Holly - great things to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This discussion is so pertinent to my life right now. As a weak and faultering Christian who has a hard time going to church for the simple reason of being scared of being judged and not loved for who I am as a person, I try really hard to love others who do not believe what I do biblically. However, I am learning that I am not at a place in my walk with Christ to be able to do so without opening the door to the devil even more. Just recently, I sincerely believed (as a result of being so exposed to the world) that the only way to strengthen my marriage was to do get a job outside the home: something that the world places value on. If I put aside my worries of being judged by trusting and believing in God's love and his Word, I would have clearly recognized much sooner that to become a stronger person meant to become a stronger Christian. . . .and find my worth as a virtuous wife!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Shelley, I hope that you come in every week as we study. I know that I need this study as well. I think that taking a few moments out to meditate on God's word and try to see where it applies in our lives will benefit us greatly. Thank you for commenting and for being so honest. <3

    ReplyDelete
  45. Kristen, I have no idea how I ended up here...such is the way of the blogosphere, I suppose. But I am THRILLED to have found this study. I have been struggling with what the true identity of a godly woman is, and I cannot wait to catch up and follow along with you ladies. My heart has been filled just by reading the comments on this first verse.

    Thank you so much for putting this out there.

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!