A couple of weeks ago, I told my dad that parenting was so stressful because you have to make decisions for another human being and there’s not always a clear cut answer as to whether it is the right decision or not… and then, when they’re older, you have to let go and trust them to make their own decisions, whether they be right or wrong. I was stressing because I knew that soon, Benjamin would be starting Pre-School, even if only for four hours a day.
If you had asked Carl or me at the beginning of this year whether or not we were sending Benjamin to public school, we would have answered that we were planning on Homeschooling, and I would have added that I was very excited to embark on that adventure with Benjamin, and then a few years later, Clara.
But, things have changed. I examined myself and realized there were some reasons I was homeschooling that did not have anything to do with my child and his well-being. I had allowed myself to be swayed by others, by their scruples, instead of coming to my own conclusion.
Truth be told, the environment here has a lot to do with our decision to send Benjamin to public school. I was pleasantly surprised when the football teams last Friday night at the high school all huddled up together after the game and had a prayer. Out there. In public. In front of everyone. It was impressive that they weren’t discouraged from doing so. The school system is a good one. We know plenty of the teachers who are members of the church. We know plenty of the students. We plan on being as involved as we are able.
We plan on encouraging Benjamin to be a shining light to others as he goes out to school. This was another thing that swayed me toward public school. We had friends whose son brought boys from school to church several times. I want to give Benjamin the opportunity to do this, because I think it’s something he’d be really great at, seeing as he is so friendly and enjoys making new friends.
There are several other reasons, but I actually didn’t start writing this blog to go on a tangent about that… I actually wanted to say that our first week at WEE school was awesome and Benjamin had a great time! He loved it! He loves his teacher and loves his new friends. Today he came home with a piece of candy that he got out of the prize box because his schoolbus didn’t get moved off of the green light all week!
I’m so proud of him and excited for him. I have saved the papers he’s brought home each day in a folder… including the envelopes with pictures he has drawn me or “letters” he has written me. It’s nice to know that even while he is away at school, he is thinking of me. It sort of makes me tear up every time he brings an envelope to me with “Mommy” written on the front and a stamp drawn in the corner.
I pray every night that Carl and I have made the right decision, and I don’t know if we will ever know for sure… but right now I’m happy that we are able to send Benjamin to WEE school. If you would, please pray for Benjamin. This is an exciting and new experience for him… and I pray, and hope you will too, that he will let his light shine around others.
I'm so glad he's liking school! Shine yo' light, Benny boy! :)
ReplyDelete