9.18.2013

& Now for something completely different…

Carl and I have once more embarked on a new and different adventure in parenting, and no, this is not a pregnancy announcement.

Because a situation arose that needed immediate care, Carl and I have become voluntary foster parents. A woman who had been visiting the congregation for a while now got into a serious situation in which her daughter, who will be 3 in November, had to be removed from the living situation. To avoid her going directly into the “System”, of which I know absolutely nothing, her mother named us to DHR to see if we would be willing to take the girl (we’ll call her O for privacy issues).

It happened Monday afternoon. Clara and I were hanging out in the living room while Carl and Benjamin ran to get groceries at Wal-Mart when there came a knock on the kitchen door. Can you imagine my shock when I open up to a police officer? Once the DHR case worker came up and explained the situation, and asked if we’d be willing to take temporary physical custody of the girl, I could not say no.

We couldn’t get ahold of Carl during this time because there is no service in Wal-Mart (which is absolutely irritating). so here I am at my dining room table with a tearful mother, a cop, and a DHR case worker going over details. I sent him a text message: “You need to come home NOW” and after a bit, he called that he was on his way home and I explained very briefly, “DHR is here with O…”

Later I apologized to Carl because I hadn’t waited for him to say that we would, but he felt  the same way that I did. She needed a good home immediately and we had one.

We don’t know how long she’ll be with us. Because the situation is a serious one, it could be quite a long time. Because we don’t have unlimited finances, and because we already have Benjamin and Clara, we may not be able to keep her here for as long as she is away from her mother. But for right now, she is here with us and she is being taken care of.

I’m now asking you all to please pray with us. Carl and I have not had any sort of training in this area. We’ve never taken any fostering classes. We had no idea what to expect at all. Of course, we have been parents for nearly five years, and that’s the experience we can claim, but this is different.

But I don’t think anything could prepare anyone for the hour and a half spent trying to soothe a sobbing toddler who is crying that she wants her mommy.

I have never felt so heartbroken in my life.

And, I have never felt so humbled by the love and support that our friends and family have shown us as we embark on this new and challenging journey. We truly love each and every one of you. For those who have reached out in whatever way already, thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you.

Please, please pray for all of us in this situation.

IMG_20130916_194902
Benjamin and O during Bible time.

8 comments:

  1. I'm keeping ya'll my thoughts, lovely. Remember if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. <3 It's such a wonderful thing you're doing, but it IS hard and it is natural and normal to need extra support or to have questions or what have you. Fostering is a whole new ballgame, but you definitely have the heart for it, and community support - which is HUGE in this game. <3 I'm here for you (as here as I can be from Houston!) and any time you need something, just let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a family that has taken in children while I was a late teen I can tell you that it is hard but so very rewarding. The two that my family took in were actually blood relatives which is a BIG difference and over the course of two years my parents petitioned the court for permanent guardianship. Prayerfully O's mother will be able to get things in order sooner than later because it is really hard on them at that age. My "sister" would regress every time she saw her bio mom. She would wet her pants and be very needy for a few days. But it did not last long and she was as happy as could be. Every child is different but distracting the two we had worked the best. You don't want to reward them and give them special treats but taking her out to the park and just having a fun time will really help her cope with this huge change. I am sure that bedtime is going to hard for her since she will be left to her own thoughts. But you and Carl are great parents and you know how to love so I am sure you will be able to get through this and make it to the other side better off than when you began. Lots of prayers for all involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! It's not easy but we'll get through it. :)

      Delete
  3. What an awesome opportunity! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family, sweet girl. That is a big task to take on. Hopefully and prayerfully BioMama gets everything worked out and O can be reunited with her.

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!