4.08.2013

adjusting.

Today was the first day that I was alone with both kiddos while Carl was at work. I have to say that I was super nervous last night when I was thinking about it. How in the world would I somehow take care of both children and have us all three survive to the end of the night?! Would I have the patience to take care of a clingy, needy newborn and an active, excited preschooler?

To be honest, though, it wasn’t so bad at all. Of course, Clara slept a lot {I am working on not holding her while she sleeps and letting her nap in her pack-n-play so that she gets used to that}, and Benjamin went to run errands after lunch with Carl so that gave me a bit of a break. I did laundry, I went through Benjamin’s clothes to clean out the stuff he’s outgrown {I feel like I just did this… he must be hitting some growth spurts!}, all while taking care of both children… I gotta say, I feel like superwoman or something! When Carl got home from work, we went on a family walk and then I made dinner! And just now as I’m sitting down, I’m finally starting to feel sleepy from a long day of being a mom and wife.

I know that there will probably be a moment tonight when I’ll be trying to get Clara to get back to sleep after one of her night feedings, where I’ll feel like crying because I’m tired… but I know that I am blessed to have someone who depends completely upon me for the time being. It’s hard sometimes not feeling frustrated when you’re desperately tired, but I constantly remind myself that I’m going to miss this when it’s over, just like I miss when Benjamin was so small.

Of course, Benjamin at this age was a lot different than Clara is. It’s really interesting to already see how different they are. Benjamin was a really easy baby. He’d be content just laying there, or sitting in his bouncer. But not Clara. The little madam must be held by mommy throughout the day, or you will hear of her displeasure.

It’s an adjustment, but it’s honestly not as hard as I thought it would be, and I am enjoying it as much as I can.

blog comments powered by Disqus