I know I threw some of you for a loop last week with doing three verses instead of one, and I apologize for the lack of warning! This week we are only looking at one verse, though.
This week we're going to look at how this verse applies to us becoming virtuous women.
One important thing that stuck out to me was that the woman is involved. She is involved in going out, considering the land that is for sale, and making that purchase for the betterment of her family. She then goes out and plants a vineyard! This woman is not a lazy woman! She is very active in taking care of her family, just as her husband should be!
I read this commentary by Adam Clark, and I thought it was very good and wanted to share with you:
Pro 31:16
She considereth a field and buyeth it -
5. She provides for the growing wants of her family. More land will shortly be needed, for the family is growing up; and having seen a field contiguous to her own, which was on sale, she estimates its worth, and purchases it a good bargain; and she pays for it by the fruit of her own industry.
6. She does not restrict herself to the bare necessaries of life; she is able to procure some of its comforts. She plants a vineyard, that she may have wine for a beverage, for medicine, and for sacrifice. This also is procured of her own labor. Whatever goes out brings its worth in; and barter, not buying, is her chief mode of traffic.
This to me goes all the way back to what I was initially saying about this section of passages, that the wife should be empowered by such scripture! We women can be providers, and do well at what we do!
Right off the bat I had to think about what a handful of friends and I do called "couponing" - maybe you do it too! Couponing these days {if you're unfamiliar with it} isn't just using coupons when you go shopping - it's taking time to hunt and gather all these coupons, and then try and figure out the best ways you can save your money while still going out and getting things that you need. A lot of the time you can get stuff free - or even have the stores literally pay you to take merchandise from their stores!
A lot of this is time consuming, but it's so worth it! And I know a lot of people look at all the loot that people get for mere pennies and say, "What are you going to do with all that?" - but think of this virtuous woman - she is thinking of the future with her purchase. A lot of this stuff doesn't have expiration dates. If you can make stockpiles of stuff that you use daily and only spend mere pennies on it - why wouldn't you?!
These verses all tie in so well together. It's obvious that the husband's heart would have to trust infinitely in his wife for her to be able to make such a purchase as this field! It's an investment in their family and their family's future. It doesn't sound like she's being selfish in these verses, either. Look at her focus here: she is all about her family.
I can't wait to read what all of you thought about this verse! Thanks as always for joining in!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. You know, this series is really interested to me because I am 37 and engaged. However I have been single most of my life and have only had to worry about myself. Now, there is this future with another person, and now I have to keep in mind that my decisions will also affect him. And it can somehow be scary. :-) So this series is really making me look at what God expects of me as a Christian wife, and I am striving to put myself in that frame of mind.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Kristen! There are so many great aids available to us for being better stewards of our blessings! Couponing sounds like a good deal. I've never had a chance to do it myself (other than handing them to Mom in the checkout line when I was little:), but I'd like to learn more about it!
ReplyDeleteYour couponing is such a great example! I really wish there was a class or tutorial on that. I would absolutely take it, because I have so much to learn!
ReplyDeleteVery insightful, Kristen! Just so you know, you're such an encouragement to me! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are right- Working hard, being cognizant of the options around us to be better stewards is very important. By viewing life through the eyes of one who's chief concern is her family, teaches us to reconsider our paradigm of action so to speak. Thinking outside the box, working hard, trying new things...I liked your coupon example! I could learn more about that too!
I like the idea in this verse that the woman is not confined to the walls of her house to take care of her family. Instead, the virtuous woman also knows what is going on outside of her home in order to make wise decisions in purchases. One commentary I read suggested something similar to that of Adam Clark’s commentary, that it is because of her labors the woman is able to buy this field, meaning she has been wise is all things: earning the trust of her husband, putting food on the table for her family, and as you mentioned Kristen, in future investments. Just like with your example of couponing, there are many things that can be done to plan ahead and look towards the future. If this means buying certain items in bulk because it is cheaper, then buy in bulk things that can sit on the shelf for when they are needed next. If this means that sometimes it is cheaper to make a larger meal for dinner, make the larger meal and freeze half of it for dinner next week.
ReplyDeleteI like how you mentioned couponing. I would totally love to do it but I'm not sure if I have the time to put into it. We do use coupons but it's not mega-savings.
ReplyDeleteGreat thoughts Amanda! I totally agree with you. I am each week reminded at how wise this virtuous woman is! She is a thinker and planner and doer.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lydia, I was thinking of doing a post on couponing soon! Maybe that would be appropriate for this week's study topic!
ReplyDeleteI would love to take a couponing class too! I know they exist, but I don't know where! ha!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to do a post hopefully this week on couponing so maybe that will help others learn more about it! I'm not a pro, but I can share my knowledge as I'm learning too!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear it Angie!!
ReplyDeleteIt does take a lot of time... I seriously spent most of this morning and afternoon clipping and sorting coupons!
ReplyDeleteThe words "involved" and "active" just speak volumes to me! Seriously, right there-convicted!!! lol
ReplyDeleteAlso, totally "coincidental", my friend Lynell just posted her notes from a Money Saving workshop she did on Saturday at church! She spends $25 a WEEK on groceries for her family of 5!!!!
Go check it out!
http://wranglersandribbons.blogspot.com/2010/05/money-saving-tips.html
So much preparation goes into her job! She is always busy and tries so hard to be a good steward of her all her things, money, and time. There are so many things to do in life-- and keeping things going smoothly is a huge job!! She is taking care of the here and now, and she is also thinking about the future and making her money do all that it can. I think bringing in the coupons as an example is awesome! Keep up the great work, Kristen!!! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks Kristen!
ReplyDeletehttp://rubymmoore.blogspot.com/2010/05/far-above-rubies.html
Hip 2 save has some great video tutorials on how to coupon at various stores! It is a great resource for newbies to couponing! www.hip2save.com
ReplyDeleteKristen, very good post. I also feel like these verses are empowering! It really is an attitude you choose for yourself. In my research late last night/early this am (while kids were sleep) I found a lot of people have very different opinions on what these verses mean. (I googled to just check out what some other folks think) Some think they are oppressive and some think they are really not about a literal wife but about a cryptic parallel for something else. So, many views out there. A lot I just dont see how they could have come to the conclusion they did. I think they are words of wisdom and examples of what a wife could be and should try to be. Also LOVED coupon idea relating to this verse. It does make you “consider” your choices. I use coupons but I don’t know how to get those big savings like you are talking about. As with many areas of my life I feel I need a manual on that, plain simple easy directions. Is there a book coupons for Dummies? ‘cause sign me up! (well not just coupons for dummies, I need all kinds of good advice for saving money in every area, just not sure what book for dummies that would be called, too broad). We are reading Dave Ramsey but we still cant squeeze blood (or money) from a turnip,...or so I have been told.
ReplyDeleteI need a couponing manual too! Ha! Thankfully I have a handful of resources on the internet:
ReplyDeletehip2save.com
dealfindingchik.blogspot.com
totallytarget.com
Those are a few! Check those out!
Wonderful! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kara! I love your thoughts here!!
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks Gina!!
ReplyDeleteWell I'm not married, not a mother, and not even close to being either, but I do daydream about it a lot. ;) I like this. It reminds me that, although many people in the world claim that God is against women, they actually have some of the most important jobs and responsibilities. I've noticed in the past that whenever something is arranged or put together, there were ALWAYS women working behind the scenes to get it done. Men may have more public jobs, but women have extensive 'under the radar' jobs that can be done by only them. My family does not use coupons much, so I'm eager to learn. I love saving money, even now when it's just on a new pair of jeans or something. And I love sorting and organizing, so that should be helpful. ;)
ReplyDeleteI firmly believe that these verses are even meant for unmarried young ladies like yourself - so you know what it takes to be a "virtuous woman" so your future husband, who will hopefully be looking for a virtuous woman, can find that you are worth far above rubies! Thanks for piping in, Bethany. :) It is really, really nice to see young ladies like yourself who are grounded in the truth.
ReplyDelete