Let me just start off by telling you all how blessed I have been by this study so far. Where I am right now there are very few women who do get together for ladies' study. Back when we were at Memphis while my husband was studying to expand his knowledge so he could go out and preach God's word, we had ladies' class every Monday night. So it was a big change going from weekly, to monthly if that. This has been so encouraging to me. I really can't tell you all exactly how I feel about this segment here... it means a lot to me that you all are joining in here.
Moving on!
These verses {I mean the verses we've already discussed} keep building up, don't they? First we talked about being a virtuous wife, and we've been building on that with being a wife that earns and keeps her husband's trust.
This verse, I feel, just builds even more off of that. Our husbands should be able to trust us, because we will only do good to him, and not evil, all the days of our lives.
That seems like an easy thing to say. Good only, no evil.
A wife needs to be an asset to her husband, which means, she would be of value to him. Specifically with these verses, her value would be far above rubies! She won't be a disadvantage to him. She won't add sorrow to his life, but joy, by her actions and behavior.
This is a constant thing. And there are so many ways we can do good to our husbands to add value to his life. For instance, if your husband works really hard during the day, perhaps it would add value to his life that after he is finished with his work {probably for most of you he would work away from home, so if he came home after work---}, he wouldn't have to worry about doing a lot of the stuff around the house. It would already be done, as a way to thank him for caring for you. Make him feel appreciated by showing him how much he means to you. It will make him feel loved and in turn he will see you as being valuable to him.
Be good to him. Don't pick fights or hold grudges. Don't start the blame game. Marriage is not always easy but it should never be a battle field.
The second part of the verse, "all the days of her life" are very important here, too. It seems like a very simple phrase, but just look at it. ALL the days. Marriage from the very beginning was meant for two people.
A husband and wife are supposed to become one flesh, inseparable! If your body was ever split in half, don't you think that would be painful? And shouldn't that be how it is when we are apart from our spouse? This coming weekend, Benjamin and I are going to be out of state, away from my husband. And while we are going to be with family, and we are going to probably have a lot of fun, it's going to be very painful being away from my husband for even three days. There are some couples who actually take separate vacations from each other! How can they do this?! Doesn't it pain them?
Actually someone told me once of someone they worked with who gave his wife two cruise tickets for Christmas or something like that, and she immediately thought of friends who could go with her. When her friend told her she couldn't go, the wife grudgingly told her husband that he could go.
Do you think that wife adds much value to this man's life? I think not. Would it surprise you if I told you that the couple recently split?
That's a big thing today now, though. Divorce. Nobody really likes to talk about it from a religious point of view, and I can leave that open for discussion in comments if you'd like. But isn't it sad that the rate of divorce in America is close to 50%? And with the way that people treat their marriages so lightly and nonchalantly, I am sure the rate is only climbing in the future!
Marriage is a divine institution that God placed even in the very beginning! How do you think God feels when He sees that so many people are just throwing aside this divine institution that He created for us?
A virtuous wife is one that honors the wedding vows. She is one who intends to be joined to her husband for life. When the going gets tough, she puts 110% effort into making things better, and to have a marriage that is pleasing to God.
{I want to be clear here, because I do have friends who have suffered divorces: I know that the ideal scenarios don't always play out. I understand this. What I am trying to say is my thoughts on the subject, that a wife has the duty to put as much effort as she can into saving a marriage that seems to be in danger. This effort is not always met. We all know that marriage is a partnership, and when one falls out, then the partnership is torn. I mourn marriages that end in divorce, for all who are involved, especially if the couple have children.}
A virtuous wife is going to be good to her husband in each and every way all the days of her life. What are your thoughts on this? I haven't even been married for 3 years ... all the days of my life haven't passed yet {though, we have no idea how long our lives will be}!
As always, thank you for your discussion and posts if you plan on making them! I look forward to reading all of your thoughts!
I have no doubt that you are a most wonderful wife to your hubs!
ReplyDeleteThat's only because she's the only one I have! =P
ReplyDeleteShe really is quite wonderful though.
There verses are so beautiful, and the thoughts you have to go along with them, Kris, are so helpful! I am not married, but I am praying for my guy and trying to prepare myself to be the best helpmeet to him that I can possibly be. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful examples of this kind of lady in my life! My mother is incredible-- she thinks ahead so much and plans things just the way she knows that it will make Daddy happy. She takes care of all the "little things" that make our life wonderful. She is never too tired to do something for Daddy. Watching Mr. Kevin and Miss Pam together is priceless, too. They are so cute, so loving, and obviously mean everything to each other. Both of these couples have women who do good for their husbands! And for their children! Seeing God's plan for marriage in action is such a blessing! God really knew what He was talking about! =)
ReplyDeleteI know I could prolly do better about tending the house stuff but it's also tough b/c I work FT too just like hubby does. I do try to at least get a little bit done before he comes home. Really though, we both work together to keep the house running.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think it is so sad and terrible how little value is put on marriage nowadays.
Lord willing, Ron & I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this year, and this verse is one that think about quite often. There are sooo many ways to do good for our husbands, and not evil. Besides the physical actions - like preparing some of his favorite foods and doing our part around the house -, I've been thinking about ways we can do good for our husbands in a spiritual way. Here are some of my thoughts:
ReplyDelete1. It does my husband good to know that I am a faithful Christian. If I never attend church; if I never talk about spiritual things; if I never pray; that would do him evil, for he is my spiritual leader and I ought to be following him. So I make it a point to be excited about being a Christian and going to heaven. It does him good to know that I will follow his lead all the way to our heavenly home!
2. It does my husband good to know that our children are being taught to love the Lord all through the day. He can trust (there's that word again) that I am teaching them to order their priorities to make heaven their home one day. This is what my husband continually thanks me for - teaching our girls to "Trust and Obey."
3. It does my husband good when I encourage him to remain faithful. He has to be around ungodly people almost every day at work. So he appreciates that I pray for him. He appreciates that I send him encouraging emails every few days. He appreciates a note in his pocket reminding him that I love him and God loves him.
Thanks again for this great idea for a study - it is such an encouragement to me!
I remind my teen girls that the "All of the days of her life" mean even before they are married...are they living a pure lifestyle before they have married and maybe even met? How are they doing him good in single-hood???
ReplyDeleteSomeone brought that to my attention, I think it was Eric and Leslie Ludy...they write some amazing books!
Anyways....great thoughts!!! Love it, Kristen! :) I just found out a friend of mine is getting a divorce and my heart just hurts...they have a little boy too. So sad.
There is a great article today on marriage at Ladies Against Femininity today! Same line of thinking as yours.... http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/?p=1001
Thanks, Kristen!!!
Oooh, now that is a great point Gina! Thanks for sharing that!
ReplyDeleteOh, and thanks for sharing that article!!
I already told you how much I loved your comment - but I really do think you make some really good points here. Those are really good, also focusing on how we can be good to him through spiritual things. I love it. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm not the best house keeper either, but I'm putting an effort and that seems to be pleasing to my husband anyway! We also both work together to keep the house running.
ReplyDeleteYou have a LOT of great examples around you! You are so right! <3 We've had a lot of good influences growing up. I know you are going to make some man one day say, "My wife is worth FAR above rubies!!!!"
ReplyDeleteThank you, blueviolet! I appreciate that!
ReplyDeleteteehee, thanks babe. get on outta here!
ReplyDeleteKristen, wonderful thoughts! I really appreciated the latter part about commitment. Doing good- there is so much in that word! Doing good little things to help him, like you mentioned the after work scenario. Doing good things that are not seen, such as being a strong Christian, example, encouragement, etc. There is also being supportive as a wife! Doing your best to be a good deacon's wife, preacher's wife, elder's wife, not only those but just a Christian man's wife!
ReplyDeleteI also appreciate Gina's point about doing good even in "single-hood". This whole passage can apply to those who are working with the capacity of marriage as well as those who are working toward marriage. Thanks, Gina!
This is such an encouragement for me! Thanks for doing this, Kristen! Keep up the good thoughts! :)
Wow! Great thoughts, Kristen. I'm going to catch up and read last weeks now. :)
ReplyDeleteCheck out my thoughts on vs. 11 and 12 @ http://wordinmyheart.blogspot.com/2010/05/trust.html
Great thoughts!
ReplyDeleteI really like the emphasis you placed on the "all the days of her life" . . . when I was studying the verse, although I obviously read it, that is not where my thoughts went, but there is great importance in that phrase.
ReplyDeleteLoved your post. Love all the comments. If a wife does her husband evil portion...really depressed me b/c of some Christian couples we know who are divorcing. One of our elders said he had never seen so many divorces in the church in his life time (and bless him, he has been around a long time). Now, we have someone very close to us who is divorcing (actually who inspired my list). Another girl said she and her husband actually never put in a determined thoughtful practice of the suggestions like Jennifer Jensen's below. (she also inspired me). They read about it and studied at church but that is about as far as that practice went.
ReplyDeleteAlso,noticed a lot of single Christian girls on comments. We have some good single Christian guys at our church who cant find single Christian girls (small town).......I'm just thinking.....Maybe???
There are a lot more divorces in the church than I was fully aware of! I mean you'd think the church would follow the Bible as closely as possible but that doesn't always seem to be the case. I know people aren't perfect and we do make mistakes, but we should strive to be perfect - Morally Excellent!!! - in all ways, every day, in every aspect of our lives - including (especially??) our marriages!
ReplyDeleteUm, YEAH! Ha! Sometimes faithful, single Christians are few and far between!
Thanks Lisa!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Dawn, thanks!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always!
ReplyDeleteKristen -
ReplyDeleteThanks for your thoughts on this verse and the last one! I've been out of town and am trying to get caught up and really appreciated reading your (and everyone else's!) thoughts and comments.
The one that really struck me was the comment about "all the days of our lives" beginning before we're married and I think it's imperitive to have the desire to prepare for the marriage even before it begins. Opportunities like this study and others are so important to me as I begin looking at my half of things so I wanted to say thank you for sharing!
Ruby
Yes, this is an excellent way to get to know one another better! I've been enjoying it immensely. Thank you, Kristen. :) So many wonderful challenges and inspiring thoughts from these verses, as well as your posts and all the comments! I was also especially struck by Gina's comment about keeping your future husband in mind even before you've met him... that's a great and often-overlooked point!
ReplyDeleteFinally have my comments up! Catch up at http://amosaicmom.blogspot.com !
ReplyDelete