5.30.2013

why do you always call me your baby?

This morning, Benjamin asked me a question: “Mom, why do you always call me your baby?”

253401_506505852188_3584_n

I told him it was because I loved him and never wanted him to grow up. He told me that he wanted to grow up big like daddy, and I asked him if it bothered him that I called him my baby. He told me that it did.

182247_186225701418070_4381858_n

My heart sank a little when he said that.

602420_477935128913791_342354782_n

Okay, it sank a lot.

37208_152206211486686_291639_n

I have known for a while that this was coming. He would no longer want to be called my baby. He would no longer want to cuddle and snuggle under the covers like he used to. I had thought that I’d been preparing myself for this, but this morning, I was not prepared. I wanted to squeeze him and tell him that no matter what, he was still going to be my baby, and he didn’t have to like it. That’s just the way it is. Always my baby.

29943_115876315119676_4375698_n

Instead, I asked him if I could call him my big boy, and he said that I could. That is, after all, what he is. He’s big enough to dress himself. Big enough to turn on lights by himself. Big enough to use the bathroom alone. Big enough to sleep in his big, full-sized bed without any rails. Big enough to walk through Walmart without having to hold a hand constantly.

297635_263140233726616_1883072277_n

He’s a big boy. He’s four years old. He wants to do things on his own. He doesn’t want to be a baby anymore.

229410_206117379428902_4965154_n
303643_254680397905933_1858281645_n

But you know… I hate to break it to Benjamin, but he is always going to be my baby. I remember the first few minutes after his birth, as everything around me went black and all I could hear was the quiet panic of the nurses around me as they scrambled to stop my bleeding and tried to find my pulse. For a short moment, I had resigned myself to the fact that I would not get to truly meet my baby boy because there was nothing they could do to stop the bleeding, so I thought.

380920_292529707454335_1145648873_n

The baby boy I thought I’d never get to hold again will always be my baby boy.

166442_180150832025557_4277771_n

So, don’t tell Benjamin, but I am secretly going to keep calling him my baby. Because he always will be.

163717_179373672103273_100000919245356_413478_1307502_n[3]

Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, just stay this little
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, it could stay this simple
I won't let nobody hurt you, won't let no one break your heart
And no one will desert you
Just try to never grow up, never grow up

2 comments:

  1. You should get him "Love You Forever and Always". :) Great kids book about this very subject. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!