3.10.2011

We’re Still Cloth Diapering

Recently I was asked by a friend if we still cloth diapered and if I would be willing to write a blog post on the subject again. My last blog on the subject was written February 5,2010 so I suppose it would be a good time to update, a year and a month later.

We do still use cloth diapers, although I would love to use no diapers and have him potty-trained, but we’re not pushing him if he isn’t ready yet. Still the only tedious thing about cloth diapering is the whole having to wash extra laundry, but it’s really not that big a deal. We don’t use cloth diapers 100% of the time. We tried before, back in July of 2009, going all out with cloth diapers. But then we started noticing that Benjamin got sores ‘down yonder’ and started putting him in disposables at night.

SONY DSC

Note: We don’t cloth diaper for environmental reasons. The fact that we keep a few diapers a day out of the landfills is merely a plus. We don’t agree with the idea of global warming, because God has told us in the Bible when and how the Earth will end and nothing we do or do not do is going to prevent His will from happening, or bring about the destruction of the earth ourselves. You don’t have to agree with me. But that’s where we stand. Also, this doesn’t mean that we don’t think we should take care of the earth. It’s a blessing from God and we should do what we can to be good stewards of what God has given us. (Just a little disclaimer, y’all!)

Anyway. So the question was asked what do I think about it now versus what I thought about it when we were first beginning. Good question! In the beginning, I was very excited about starting, but I was also a little nervous about how Benjamin might acclimate to the new diapers and whether or not we’d be able to stick with it. I didn’t want to invest so much into it and then months on down the line give it up. Well, we started cloth diapering when Benjamin was 3 months old and he is now 25 months old! We haven’t given it up now (although we have gone a few stretches of time using purely disposables – I will talk about that in a minute) and we don’t plan on giving it up until Benjamin is potty-trained… whenever that happens…

SONY DSC

I love that we have not had to spend as much money on diapers as some other families do. It has saved us so much money and we really don’t have a lot of money to invest in disposable diapers. We buy diapers maybe once every month and a half to two months, only because Benjamin’s skin is so sensitive still and if we keep him in cloth diapers over night, you can guarantee a rash in the morning. We also put him in disposables on days where we are going to be away from the house for a long period of time just because it is easier for us and just in case we can’t get to change him in before he gets a rash. Even with the few times we do have to buy diapers, we still save a lot of money by using cloth.

Some people say that you make up for that money by using the water to wash the diaper laundry, but we don’t usually do special diaper loads. His diapers get washed with his usual laundry. So there’s actually no difference in that, which is good because laundry is already the bane of my existence.

SONY DSC

There’s one of two diaper drawers, and that’s only the gusset of the diaper compared to our entire stash. (See what I did there? Hem of the garment? Gusset of the diaper? Eh? Ehh?)

How would everyone like to get a separate post maybe next week on the different types of Diapers, at least the ones that we ourselves have tried?

7 comments:

  1. Do you at least rinse the diapers before washing them with his laundry? We cloth diaper too but always wash separately. Just too "ew" to me to do it with her laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) They do get rinsed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, if they are like really gross (and they have been lately, whew) I won't put them in with his laundry. Good question though, I suppose I should have added that in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always used disposables. By the time I started to consider cloth diapering, Diamond started potty training herself. I would def. consider using cloth diapers if we were ever blessed with another child. Great post, Kristen! Very well put :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to read a separate post about the different types. I am considering cloth cause the disposables seem to be giving Lilly staph infections (they started to give Jeremiah infections not long before he stopped wearing them). So I'm wanting to see if the cloth will be better than having her on antibiotics every couple months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know your opinion about which cloth diapers are better. Although those years are far behind me, it's always good to keep updated so that if I want to give someone a gift of diapers, I can choose wisely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're CDing 2 now and still loving it! We have definitely saved a lot of money and we use sposies at night too.

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!