10.02.2008

On Old Wives' Tales

I just wanted to pop on and make a short post for those who JUST MIGHT be expecting, and wondering what the gender of their unborn child is. It's a question that frequently haunts the minds of us mommies-to-be. But before you get online and start looking up the old wives' tales gender predictors... STOP.

They don't have a leg to stand on. They aren't always very accurate at all. 90% of the wives tales told me that I was going to be having a girl - even the heart rate one. The chinese gender predictor chart told me I was having a girl as well. Guess what? Boy. Here I had been calling my SON a her for at least three months... the poor child! Just because I had let these tales convince me. And the heart rate? 157. And he's a boy.

They are fun to look into, but don't bank on them. We weren't disappointed or anything with the outcome of our baby - but I do feel terribly rotten for calling him a her all that time. I know a lot of people get it stuck in their head and when they find out and it isn't what they expected, they feel sad. Don't let this add to it. Take it from someone who thought they had a leg to stand on.


- Kristen

4 comments:

  1. Aw, don't feel bad! In a family where all the children were girls my parents called everyone of us "him" and said that it was the neutral term. So don't worry, I'm sure he won't be scarred for life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents actually thought I was a boy till I was born. They were kinda surprised and thank goodness I was or else I would have been William Harold V or Quint. I much prefer my own name..Oh, I read the post about names for a baby. I never know how I will pick one, I am so indecesive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard tales..its a girl if you are carrying it high. Its a boy if its low..what do you do if you are very short waisted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naomi, that is funny! It's just good Benjamin really couldn't hear very well all the weeks we called him a her!

    Cara, They thought I was going to be a boy as well! I know what you mean, though, it isn't a very easy thing to decide on! Benjamin, however, has been the name from the beginning if he was a boy! And lookit that! Haha!

    Cait, I've heard it both ways. In fact someone said, "You're carrying so low, it must be a girl!" I am rather short waisted, though! I never really thought about that!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!