3.19.2013

eye update.

So today we woke up bright and early, again, to drive to the city, again, to have my eye looked at … again. This time, I was looked at by a retinal specialist who had a lot more experience and better equipment to be able to figure out what is going on with my left eye. The appointment really didn’t last too long, but at the same time it wasn’t very informative either because there is just no telling why my eye is the way it is right now.

Basically the only thing we really found out was that the leak is not  behind my retina, but in front of it. Which seemed like good news to us, although we really don’t know what that means either, ha! Anyway, I know you want to see awesome pictures of my eye so I won’t hold out any longer…

62725_549448688429101_219525029_n
This is a look at the inside of my right eye, the one that is perfectly fine and clear. Nice and clean.

6023_549445971762706_1574017924_n
And this is a picture of my left eye. The big dark spot is the blood that is sitting in front of my retina, obstructing my vision. Quite a difference, right?

It isn’t painful, it’s just really annoying. We call it my dirty eye because it is basically like trying to look through really, really dirty glass, with a smudge of blood across it. It’s just terribly annoying. Even more so because we don’t know what has caused it. In fact, the doctor was like, “This is just puzzling! There is no reason that I can tell that  this should have happened!” and I just told him, “I have bad luck.”

Which is basically it. I mean, he was seriously baffled and had to leave the room to think for a while and came in a couple more times to talk to us and ask questions. But we all still left the room scratching our heads.

He wants to see me back after the baby is born. In fact, he wants to see me back next week. I don’t know if that’s going to happen or not – it all depends on what my OB thinks and how my recovery is going. He wants to do a test where they will inject my arm with dye and then take pictures of my eye again.

Anyway, he did tell us that there is a possibility that it will reabsorb and there won’t be a problem, or that in the future we will have to have eye surgery to drain it. Hopefully that won’t be the case. Right now all we can really do is watch it, though.

So for now, it’s just a huge annoyance. There are a few things that are hard to do when you’ve only got use of one eye… like putting on makeup, cooking dinner, pouring tea {I poured tea ALL OVER the counter last night}, maneuvering {I hit Zoe in the face with the tea jug because she was on the wrong side of me}… and it’s easy to sneak up on me now.

But the good thing is I still have my right eye, so I’ll be able to take pictures of the baby when she comes. Never fear!

blog comments powered by Disqus