Lately Benjamin has been getting into these moods where he won’t eat what he doesn’t want to eat. We don’t freak out about it because… well there are other things to freak out about and not eating something isn’t it. We have our rules, though. He can’t have a snack before bed if he doesn’t eat his dinner (at least an acceptable amount of it), and if that’s the case, we usually save it for him to eat later (because like I said – it’s a mood, and his moods change).
Tonight, we had spaghetti. He loves spaghetti. --- wait, let’s rewind.
Tonight, Benjamin wanted pizza (again). We didn’t have anymore pizza. This crushed him. He looked in the fridge for the pizza box and it was gone and he was just absolutely crushed. Once he saw the spaghetti, though, he was over it and just wanted the spaghetti.
Like I said, he loves spaghetti. He ate all the spaghetti on his plate and then looked at our plates and said, “Boar sketti?” (more), totally ignoring the steamed veggies on his plate. We told him to eat a carrot and he can have more spaghetti. Well, this didn’t go over so well with Mr. Benjamin and he refused. But eventually, he ate one and seemed happy that he did, especially when more spaghetti came upon his plate.
He ate that, and wanted Yogurt.
We asked him to eat another carrot… and he freaked out at the table. It was like we had asked him to cut off a toe. He was sobbing. So we explained to him that he was a big boy and he needed to eat his vegetables like a big boy before getting some yogurt and finally, finally, he ate his carrot.
He got his yogurt. He was happy. But boy did it take a lot to get there! This “Two” business is wild! I also think maybe all the changes are catching up with him. I mean, having moved and not seeing the same people all the time… being in a new house with new stuff and new people to see… yeah, I can see where all this can sort of encourage a meltdown here or there. I sure do hope this passes soon, though!