2.10.2011

One day we will look back on this and laugh.

One day we will say, “Hey, remember that time we came home from bible study and started the dishwasher and then walked away and then started hearing really loud rushing water and went into the kitchen to find it completely flooded?” And then we will laugh.

But I so was not laughing last night. Praying, more like.

We had just gotten home from Bible study and Carl went to load the dishwasher and start it because we had some friends coming over to watch a show with us. Well we had left the room and I was on the phone with my mom and all this time I am hearing rushing water, thinking nothing of it because I was sure it was the washing machine filling up or something. Well I walked into the kitchen and found it flooding. I told my mom, “Something big just happened! Gotta go!” and hung up the phone. {Poor mom thought something was wrong with Ben because he had banged his head pretty bad about 20 minutes prior and she was saying to watch out for a concussion. She told my dad after I hung up that she was afraid something was wrong with Ben—sorry mom and dad!}

Anyway, like I said, the kitchen was flooding rapidly before our eyes. The first words out of my mouth were, “Call David NOW!” – he is a deacon at the congregation and he is super handy and lives just up the road. It was coming from under the sink and Carl rushed around to try to turn the water off but the water was SO HOT and it was scalding our feet and fogging up Carl’s glasses. While he tried to turn it off, I ran back and forth from the bathroom to the kitchen with towels, throwing them down on the floor to try to get the water to stop moving further into the house. I ran out of towels eventually, and we have a LOT of towels. It still really wasn’t enough to really get it all soaked up. It wasn’t like “oh there is some water on the floor” it was like “Wow, I am splashing through my kitchen” – even with the towels down.

Finally the water was shut off and David arrived with his shop vac and we got the soaked towels up so he could vacuum up the rest of the water. We looked under the sink and found that the line had exploded. This morning David came with some new lines and installed them for us.

So all is well, or should be. I haven’t tried to turn the dishwasher on again because now I’m all nervous. It should be fine, but I’d rather not risk it. My kitchen is kinda cluttered up now with cleaner stuff that had been under the sink now on all my counters. It was a stressful situation and all I wanted to do was pray and count my blessings and there were a few big ones that really came to me.

SONY DSC

I am thankful that we have indoor plumbing even if it explodes in our kitchen!

SONY DSC

I am thankful for a quick-moving husband.

SONY DSC

I am thankful that we have hot water even if it scalds our feet!

SONY DSC

I am thankful that we have a million towels to throw down on the floor!

SONY DSC

I am thankful for friends and family in Christ who are handy and close by enough to come help us in our time of great need!

SONY DSC

I am thankful that tonight I am going on a girls’ night out with Blythe to get our nails did and have dinner and relax.

SONY DSC

I am thankful for a new line under our sink!

So very, very thankful to be able to remain calm and keep a good attitude when I really wanted to scream and rip my hair out! Oh, and you might be wondering what Benjamin thought of all this. Nothing. He thought nothing of this because he was completely oblivious the entire time. I am so thankful for Word World no matter how many times I have seen it and no matter how annoying it can be. It kept him so occupied so we didn’t have to keep him out of the way or out of the kitchen. I imagine he would have  been slipping all around in that hot water! It still cracks me up that he STILL has no idea what happened.

SONY DSC

So yeah, one day we may look back on all of this and laugh. But right now I’m feeling really sleep deprived and just really thankful that it’s all been taken care of.

1 comment:

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!