6.08.2010

Eczema is Evil

EDIT// I updated the prayer list on my sidebar. I added the Sutton Family. Also, Stacia's baby boy Colin was born today! Please let me know if I can add anyone to the prayer list. If they have a website or blog or anything like that to link to, leave that with your comment! Thanks!

-------------

DSC02355

Eczema. I feel like it is a never-ending battle. It's seriously one of my biggest frustrations these days. Not on my self, but on Benjamin. The poor dear itches all over it seems. Sometimes I feel so hopeless and I feel like I've tried everything but I know I cannot give up.

DSC02366

You can see the rough skin on his legs and arms there {sorry it's a bad picture - the child is snow white so the light just bounces off of him!}. Do any of you have to battle with Eczema, on your person or on your children? I battle both. I am afraid I had something to do with the fact that Benjamin has such bad eczema. Of course, my case is nothing compared to his. It is very hard knowing how miserable my eczema makes me, and then knowing that Benjamin's is so much worse.

DSC02637

It's really bad around his ankles and behind his knees. And the poor thing doesn't know how to ignore the itch, and so he scratches and scratches. I feel like I have tried everything under the sun {I know I haven't}. I've tried switching soap/shampoo many times. We use scent-free, hypoallergenic detergent for his clothes. He wears mostly 100% cotton clothing. I've tried goat milk soap. I've tried countless lotions and ointments. He's had a prescription steroid cream.

DSC02821

Some of these things worked for a while, and all of the sudden they quit. The most success we had was with the Goldbond Ultimate Healing lotion. This worked wonders. And then just stopped. It's so disheartening to see his eczema go back to the way it was- some days even worse. I just feel so hopeless. Have I said that before? Sigh.

DSC02826

The newest thing we have tried has been Triple Cream, which we found in the baby aisle at Target. The box said it was specifically for eczema and although it was rather expensive I had to get it to see if it would help my poor baby's legs. It seems to be doing okay. I've seen a little improvement, but not enough to make me real excited.

This is what his ankles looked like yesterday:
DSC02981

And while that may look not-so-good to you, believe me, that is good. I am praying that this will continue to improve. Please if you have any advice for eczema, please tell me. I feel like I'm at my wits end on this. If this cream doesn't do it, I really don't know what will! This is me asking for help: HELP!!

post signature

7 comments:

  1. The poor little pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked my mother and she mentioned Ivory soap because it's really gentle and has no additives. I don't know if you've already tried that because you said you've changed soaps and shampoos a lot, but Ivory soaps and Ivory flakes are apparently good...Good luck! Poor baby. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. For eczema I have heard that making your own detergent is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this but you may have already tried these:
    A few of these tips among the many to help with relief of symptoms include:

    * Avoid dehydration of the skin by using natural oils such as avocado oil or coconut oil after washing
    * Avoid extreme temperatures
    * Wear clothes made of 100% cotton or natural fabrics allowing your skin to breathe
    * Take 10-minute lukewarm oatmeal baths
    * Use only personal products that consist of natural ingredients staying away from chemicals, fragrances and preservatives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's more I found:

    The most common natural cure for eczema is as simple as the sun. Sunlight contains UV rays which aid in the healing process. It attacks T cells that cause redness. It also helps to burn off the ’scales’ or dead skin cells. While sunbathing can be a great benefit getting too much sun can be just as harmful as it is to others not suffering from eczema. This may lead to other conditions namely skin cancer. Please, as always, sunbathe in moderation.

    Keeping your skin moisturized is also important. Use natural oils such as aloe vera and especially coconut oil. Try to stay away from deodorant soaps, perfumes or powders. Using a cleanser other than soap can be greatly beneficial. If you have to use a soap use one that is rich in goats milk. It is also recommended that you do not use a loofah or wash cloth when you bathe. Don’t scrub your skin when you dry off, pat dry only. Petroleum used on the skin after a bath will help prevent anything from entering into the skin.

    Herbs can also play an important part. Apply a nutmeg paste directly to the skin. One teaspoon of sandlewood mixed with one teaspoon of camphor can also be applied to the infected area. Another sure fire way to clear up an eczema is a mixture of mustard oil and margosa leaves. Boil the leaves and mustard oil together and apply to the body four times daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago I sold Arbonne products. I never used the baby products but was told they were great for eczema and other sensitive skin issues. The down side is that they are expensive. If you decided to try them I do know someone who still sells it and can get you in contact. Here's a link to the products. http://www.arbonne.com/products/baby/set.asp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen,

    Have you tried the California Baby Super Sensitive line?

    I don't have eczema, but I do have contact dermatitis often when I am not careful. I have sensitive skin...
    Like others have said, I think the most important thing when you have skin problems is to use as much natural products as possible.

    Use natural detergent that's free of everything!! Like the Seventh Generation Delicate Care Laundry that isn't actually a baby detergent, but it doesn't have any additives, not even scent. Sometimes, regular store bought detergents, even if they say they're free and clear (or whatever the term is), are not really free of additives. For example, they might still have brighteners, or enzymes (which are HORRIBLE from what I've read).

    Use natural baby care products, like Burt's Bees Buttermilk products, or California Baby Super Sensitive, or the Calendula line. Use it even just for normal handwashing.

    Clean with natural cleansers around the house. No chemicals. Your baby breathes/touches surfaces that you clean...

    Avoid triggers (this, we have to find out what...)

    Wear natural clothing. Cotton, if possible organic cotton or bamboo.

    Hope this helps!
    XX

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!