I never thought that Mother’s Day would ever become my absolute favorite Holiday. It isn’t as though the festivities build up over time. There aren’t any ‘classic’ songs dedicated to the holiday, nor is there actually a ‘season’ devoted to it (I mean, how you would refer to different things as seasonal). But now, after having been a mother for two years, I can safely say that I have never been so excited about having a day just for me! And I wonder if my mother ever felt this way and I hope that when I was younger I helped live up to the expectations. I always remember my dad being ever so sweet to my mom on Mother’s Day but I don’t remember much about me. I hope I made her feel special. I sure do love feeling special on Mother’s Day.
Motherhood is not exactly what I expected it to be. And I don’t think that it ever could have been. I don’t really know what I truly expected it to be but I just know that it wasn’t this. I have been told before that we ‘rushed’ into having a baby because we got pregnant only 9 months after being married, and we were already so young getting married in the first place (at 18 and 20 years old). However, when we found out that we were expecting a baby (exact date: May 13, 2008 – I will never forget!), I couldn’t have been happier, and I couldn’t imagine myself not being ‘ready’ in some sense. I knew that it would be a huge responsibility. I didn’t know how we would turn out but I knew I would do my very best to raise my child in the Lord. That’s what mattered to me. That’s what still matters to me.
I never expected to give up so much for my child. I knew that I would if I had to, but I never knew how much I would give up for him. I figured that I would never look the same, as vain as I was, and for a while it bothered me terribly. But I’ve come to grips with it. I’m not the same because of my precious child, and that’s okay. I’ve given up ‘me time’ for the majority of the day. I’ve given up hanging out regularly with friends because there are just certain times when you can’t leave the house and certain places where a toddler or baby just wouldn’t do well (such as the movie that all our friends besides myself went to tonight because I was home as Ben slept – which was totally fine, I had a nice quiet evening – something I rarely get!!). I have given up a lot of things I’d love to do like get my hair cut more often (cutting the spending is more important), taking a shower whenever I so choose, sleeping in… like… ever.
Maybe giving all that up may have bothered me before and maybe sometimes still from time to time, but I would give it all up again for my sweet Benjamin. I love being a mother. I never knew that being a stay-at-home wife and mommy would be my life-long joy, but here I am and I am loving it. I wouldn’t trade it for any high-paying profession or any fame-gathering career in the world. I am home, taking care of the house (though lately that has taken a back seat to pottytraining), teaching my child and nurturing him, and it is exactly where I am supposed to be.
On the flip side, I never thought I would be experiencing such things like all the laughter that comes with raising a child with such a joyful spirit. I never expected to have to hold back tears of joy when my two-year-old proudly exclaims at the lunch table that Jesus is his best friend. I never thought I would think it the sweetest thing when he begged for more kisses at bedtime, or when he holds my hand while walking. The peace that comes with holding him at his sleepiest and cuddling while watching one of his many favorite movies. Going outside and playing ball. Driving him nuts with my camera. Watching him grow and learn. Joyfully obliging when he begs to sing ‘Holy, Holy, Holy’ over… and over… and over.
Oh… I love it. So much.
I totally love this life. I love being a Mother. I cannot, absolutely cannot wait for Mother’s Day. It’s not just a day where our children and husbands can thank us for what we do or pamper us, but it is a day where Mother’s can celebrate the gift(s) they have been given by God, and the honor it is to be a Mother. I celebrate that every day, but on Mother’s Day, I’m going to go all out.
Beautiful post about motherhood. You just don't realize what a blessing it is until you are in the midst of it.
ReplyDeleteAnd that last picture? Absolutely precious. Love. :)
Happy Mother's Day!
Thank you! You are so right! Happy Mother's Day to you too!
ReplyDelete