5.18.2011

Cons to Blogging?

I love my blog, and I love to blog, but there are some moments with blogging that really … freak me out a bit. Call me paranoid, but I have these nifty little codes on my blog that tell me who is coming on my blog {I feel I have a right to know as it is my personal blog} by way of where they are from and where they are coming from link-wise. I also have a nifty little code that shows me more details about which pages are most popular and even what content is most popular, and with that it shows me what content has been copied from my page.

This is where I get freaked out to the point of wanting to put on the breaks and shut this thing down. There are folks copying photos from my blog. Some are oddly enough photos of me, and some are photos of me and Benjamin, and one of just Benjamin. One of my old pet rabbit… for whatever reason…

Some of you may remember when I had issues way back when with someone taking pictures from my facebook. I have since tried to be more careful in that way, trying to remember to watermark my photos {just realized the post I had put up earlier didn’t have watermarked photos so I took that down and saved it as a draft to post some other time…}, etc.

I wish I could import certain blog posts, such as my Morning Glories posts, stuff like that, to a different blog and just transfer my domain and start fresh. I’m considering it. I love this blog but I want my family to be safe.

What are your thoughts? Would you be freaked out if you found out someone was ‘copying’ your stuff? Also, if you are reading this and you are someone who copies photos, maybe even mine, please… just stop. I don’t know what reason you might have for copying them, but it can’t be right. I know I haven’t gotten any emails from anyone asking permission to use my photos. I’m just sayin’.

21 comments:

  1.  Wow...you have me totally freaked out now! :-/ Yeah, it would disturb me if someone was doing that to my pics on my blog. Good thing you have a tracker...didn't know those existed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I have to say that I have thought the same things. I am a writer and love to write. With that said, I have considered a blog, but this is the main reason why I haven't started one up. I just don't feel as safe online anymore. I wish you had a tracer to tell who downloaded or copied what and find out why. I know some who share pictures and blogs with friends, but anyone copying photos would make me feel the same way. I hope you find an answer, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to start a fresh blog, make my old one private (for my eyes only and whomever else I decide to let see the old things) and make sure I watermark every photo I put up if I do share. The reason being I can't possibly go back and safeguard every single photo I have ever posted and I don't want ANY of them taken. Anyway, I would also be able to go back and take any posts from the old blog and post them on the new one if I liked it and wanted it available again :) It wouldn't be that big of a deal, I guess. It's a little sad that there are people who do copy stuff like that... I have no idea why someone would want a picture of me holding a spatula anyway. .... weeeeiiirrrrdddd. Anyway I am going to think it over some more and we'll see how things turn out. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it is pretty freaky! the internet is pretty freaky sometimes.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. *copies recent photos from blog*
    *adds more mustache*

    What? Errbody looks better with a mustache.

    (No, but really, this is weird and yeah... do what you need to feel comfortable online.)

    Lub,
    Mabalime

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about this a lot recently too. I don't mind people looking at our photos on the blog, or I wouldn't put them there in the first place, but downloading them is a whole different ball game!

    I'd love to know what tracker you have that shows you what is downloaded. I have one that shows stats and what photo is viewed in a seperate window but not downloaded.

    What I have done now is disabled right click and also disable left click on each photo I put up. I won't be doing it to my cakes and crochet photos but I will be doing it to those of me and my boys. I found a great tutorial here http://www.designsbyrs.com/2009/01/14/blogspot-101-keep-your-photos-from-opening-when-people-left-click-on-them/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a way to copyright protect your blog?  Make it where a person cannot right click to copy/save a picture? I'm sorry you are having problems with people taking your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, I would hate to see your blog go!

    Couldn't you change your settings to private by invite only? Then if someone was copying your pictures, you would have more of an idea of exactly who was doing it. I love reading your blog!  I hope you work get this worked out without saying bye bye to the blogging world. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9.  I think the biggest concern is whether they were copying pictures because they know who you are or if it was just someone who randomly searched for images and some of yours were listed based on the text associated with it. 

    Completely understand the need for privacy and protection and like the idea for you having a personal blog for your family and friends that you can do some posts / updates and a separate one for your general posts (because I would hate to see Morning Glories go away :D) 

    Hope things work out and you can be at peace with your decision - you'll be in my prayers as you seek to do what's best for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10.  Yeah, that's the thing... I can't possibly know who or why... the last time my photos were stolen, it was by someone who knew me personally and who was using pictures of Benjamin and passing him off as her son to people on the internet. The scariest e-mail I have ever received was from someone who was saying, "You don't know me, but I think someone is stealing your pictures."

    Thanks for the prayers! I will have reached a decision sometime today I think. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might do the invite only! I thought about that last night too. I think I like that idea better. :)  

    ReplyDelete
  12.  Yes, my blog is copyrighted but unfortunately that doesn't stop everyone, and I can't find out how to know who it is that is actually taking my stuff. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. What code have you been using with the image viewing? I have been using a few different sites with my 'protection'. http://whos.amung.us ,  sitemeter.com , and http://www.tynt.com/ (this is the one that I found out my stuff was being copied on)

    I think what I might end up doing is making my blog invite only. I love being able to share with people who might be coming over from other blogs, but I'm tired of this happening! Once was plenty for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah-ha!! Did you by any chance put a mustache on Davey? I'd like to see that one... ;)  

    ReplyDelete
  15.  How awful and scary! I don't know what I'd do (and I honestly hope it isn't happening to my stuff!). I feel a lot better than I used to because I watermark my stuff now, so if it is taken, it will still have my watermark there (I don't know what someone would do with a copied watermark image?). 

    I don't have any good advice for you . . . I'd hate to see your blog go because I do enjoy it and it is an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know someone who changed over to invite only....I would consider it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And....even if it is copyrighted....people can just take a screen shot.  :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah I was telling my husband that last night even if I disabled right or left clicking on my blog, you can still use a snipping tool or take a screenshot! If someone wants your stuff bad enough they will get it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have tried to make sure I remember to watermark my stuff and make sure it is in a place that can't easily be photoshopped or cropped out. I don't want to have to worry about that kind of stuff though! It's time consuming! I think I am going to do an invite only for my blog instead of having it open to the public, that way I know who is looking at my stuff and it will be people I trust. 

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I am going to go with invite only! That way I know and trust the folks looking at my blog. 

    ReplyDelete
  21. It has crossed my mind several times to stop blogging completely for privacy reasons but I haven't yet. You never know the weirdos who may come to your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!