5.14.2011

Blessed to be a Preacher’s Wife

Whenever I meet someone and they ask me about what I do or what my husband does, they are usually taken aback that I am a preacher’s wife who stays home with the preacher’s kid and takes care of him and the house. Usually when they find that out they either have two reactions. 1) They say something like ‘That is great, what a great thing to do.’ {about him preaching} and they may occasionally speak to me about spiritual things but generally they don’t really talk about it or 2) They say ‘Oh…’ and they close up and avoid us. I am sure fellow preacher’s wives can relate to me when I say this. Can I get an amen? ha!

I know that there are plenty of preacher’s wives who really dislike going by the title of ‘The Preacher’s Wife’ like it’s stamped on their forehead. Mostly I think it’s just the expectations that go along with it {which I will agree that some of the time – well most of the time – the expectations are a little unfair because they are things that should be expected of all Christians, not just “us” as if we are some “elite group”}. I haven’t been a preacher’s wife very long. We’ll be celebrating our fourth anniversary in August. But I feel like I have come to expect the expectations and I do my best to meet them as best and reasonably as I can.

While some days I feel stressed out because of the added stress that can be put on our lives because of what Carl does for a living… sometimes I feel stressed out ‘knowing too much’ {preacher’s wives, again, will know exactly what I mean here}, and not knowing all the answers. Sometimes the expectations do get to me and I feel like I need to back off on trying to meet them all… in spite of all the cons I could probably think of {but won’t, right now, as this wasn’t intended to be a ranting or venting post}… I feel so very blessed to be the wife of a gospel preacher.

I’m blessed because I get to listen to my husband preach the gospel every week {or, nearly every week}. I have an insight to what the preacher goes through that others may not ever see. I know what irks him and why. I know how he spends his time and I know how much love and effort he puts into what he does. Nothing can hurt me more in my life than when someone accuses my husband of ‘not caring enough’ or ‘not doing enough’ – when they just don’t know. I know, and it gives me a deeper appreciation and respect for my husband and for his work.

I am blessed as a preacher’s wife because it helps me get out of my comfort zone. I am generally a very reclusive person who would rather keep to myself than put myself out there. I am extremely shy in most situations and feel anxious when I’m put on the spot in any situation. But being a preacher’s wife has taught me to break out of my shell little by little, and to stick my neck out further than I would normally. I have come to accept the fact that I will usually be one of the first people they come to when a class needs to be taught. I’ll be expected to say a prayer when the ladies gather.

As a preacher’s wife, people see in me a certain level of confidentiality and I respect and am humbled by their trust. Sometimes this allows me to reach out to others in a way that someone else might not be able to. Being a preacher’s wife has shown me how to be more compassionate and loving and kind to those around me, saved and unsaved.

{I don’t put myself above others just because I am a preacher’s wife. I’m not saying that because I am a preacher’s wife I am better than others. Because I am a preacher’s wife I have learned all this and experienced this but that doesn’t mean that a lot of what I have learned as a preacher’s wife is something others can’t learn in their walks with Christ as well. I hope I’m not coming off that way.}

I think that being a preacher’s wife has in a way forced me to grow. But I know it’s not just that… it’s the fact that I have made so many connections with people who know exactly what I am going through because they are going through it as well. I am so thankful for our preaching family friends. It is beautiful having so many friends who know what you go through on a daily basis, especially those who have more experience than myself.

I am so thankful for this life that God has blessed me with. I am so thankful for all the opportunities to grow and to help my husband grow and to help my son grow, and hopefully those around me as well. I am so blessed and truly thankful.

God is so good.

4 comments:

  1. Great post!  I totally agree!  I LOVE being the Pastor's Wife...like you said, not all the expectations, but overall I love it!  It is hard when you tell people what your family "does" and they give you that "why on earth would you do that?!" look.  As frustrating as ministry can be, I wouldn't have it any other way!  Blessings to you!!  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My dad is a Gospel preacher. My brother is a Gospel preacher and my husband is a Gospel preacher. We always said that we live in a fish bowl. Sometimes it can be hard, but we are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3.  AMEN!  We've actually started not mentioning what we do unless asked.  It's not that we're ashamed or anything, but we want them to get to know us and see that we're "normal" (well, kind of :)) before they get scared of us. lol  I love being at the congregation where the Taylor's are.  They are a great source of advice and encouragement.  When I told Mrs. Irene that I didn't like everyone looking at me she said, "You'd better get over that. You married a preacher!"  :)  It is such a blessed life, though, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Kristen! Preachers' wives are precious jewels that many do not appreciate, including some preachers!! 

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!