9.15.2009

Happy [Spiritual] Birthday to Me!

I was going to do a different blog today, but then I realized what day it is. It's September 15th. My spiritual birthday. My friend Amanda, who writes at Love Like the Dickens, suggested that I do a blog post about it, and I thought that was a great idea! So that's what I'm going to do.



Six years ago today (well, tonight, really), I was baptized into the Body of Christ (Galatians 3:26,27). I remember that night like it was yesterday. I was sitting on the couch mulling over a lesson about Eternity that I had heard at a Youth Day at one of the local congregations, and then a sermon I had heard by a brother who had been visiting on Salvation. I was real bothered because I hadn't been baptized and I knew that I needed to be. So I mustered up my courage, and decided to tell my mom. She was on the phone at the time so I wrote it on the magnetic calendar she always kept on the refrigerator: "I need to be baptized."

And so we called my dad, who was at work, and the preacher of a local congregation to see if he could come unlock their building (ours didn't have a baptistery yet)so we could use it. I called a few people to let them know in case they wanted to meet us there, and we were off!

I requested everyone sing "Buried With Christ" afterward. To this day that song holds a special place in my heart.


Buried with Christ, my blessed Redeemer,
Dead to the old life of folly and sin;
Satan may call, the world may entreat me,
There is no voice that answers within.

Dead to the world, to voices that call me,
Living anew, obedient but free;
Dead to the joys that once did enthrall me -
Yet 'tis not I, Christ liveth in me.

Dead unto sin, live thru the spirit,
Risen with Him from the gloom of the grave,
All things are new, and I am rejoicing,
In His great love, His power to save.

Dead to the world, to voices that call me,
Living anew, obedient but free;
Dead to the joys that once did enthrall me -
Yet 'tis not I, Christ liveth in me.

Sin hath no more its cruel dominion,
Walking "in newness of life," I am free -
Glorious life of Christ, My Redeemer,
which He so richly shareth with me.

Dead to the world, to voices that call me,
Living anew, obedient but free;
Dead to the joys that once did enthrall me -
Yet 'tis not I, Christ liveth in me.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! What a great day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! That is a great picture and such a pretty song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spiritual birthdays! I never forget mine either, I'm glad to see your post:).

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!