9.08.2009

Look Good Doing It

And now for something completely different.

In our house, we do not have cable. We do have Netflix and do watch shows we want to watch there. I don't really miss having cable (except when the Dawgs, Falcons, Bears, or Braves are playing!). I mean, there's so much trash out there that I don't need to watch anyway.

I used to watch the show on TLC called "What Not to Wear" and also "Ten Years Younger". I really don't know why I was so into those shows. I don't consider myself a fashionista of any sort. Shopping isn't a favorite past time and I'm really not into makeup. My favorite kind of hairstyle is the one I can get by without even blow drying and not look like a rat has made it's nest up there. I don't like dressing up - I'd rather be comfortable.

Lately, though, I feel like I have been getting a bit too comfortable. I remember those shows and occasionally the question would be asked, "How did you get to be this way?" and the answer would be, "I had kids and I let myself go." This, I heard, more than a few times. After hearing and seeing that, I would always tell myself, "Not me. No way. I will never let myself go like that after having kids!"

Insert bitter laugh.


I believe I have started down that slippery slope. Most days I am quite fine to hang out in my husband's old gym shorts and an old t-shirt from too many years ago. I don't bother with makeup. I don't bother with my hair, at all. I guess the word I am looking for is "Frumpy".

Yes, I just said it. Frumpy.

And that sound you just heard? That was me putting my foot down.

I will not let myself go.

From this day forward, unless I am sick or in mourning, there is no Mrs. Frump in this house. I am not that Mommy. I will no longer go about my day looking like I just rolled out of bed, at 3PM (now doesn't that sound nice? Rolling out of bed at 3PM. . .). I'm TWENTY YEARS OLD. Now, I know I waved bye-bye to my perfect, young body at like. . . 5 months pregnant. But that is no reason to just let myself go.

I am going to take hold of the youth that is still in me. This is my journey that I am going to call "Look Good Doing It". I am going to go about my day as a young mommy who hasn't slept through the night in nearly 8 months, but I am going to look good doing it.

Can I get an Amen?

7 comments:

  1. I could have written this post! On the days that I am home with the 2 kids I just lounge around in sweats and a t-shirt....my hair is kinda combed....but yeah Frumpy is the right word! I have noticed that the days I wake up and get dressed I feel better about myself and the entire day goes better.....but that takes work LOL And sometimes I just don't want to

    here's to no more Mrs. Frumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I hear ya! Just because we are Mommies does not mean we should be on the back burner! Which is usually where we find ourselves! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking this as well. Since we came home from the hospital I never wear make up and wear pj's all day. Granted, I have been recouperating from the surgery, but I don't want this to become the norm. It's been three weeks...time to put on some real clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work on that all the time! You don't have to have kids to be frumpy! I'm frumpy many days, and I always think back to what Stacy and Clinton would say. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha I don't mind frumpy. I like to make myself up when we go out so I call it even. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! I completely agree with you! Even on the days I go to school, I usually leave the house with a wet pony tail and no makeup. Poor Chris, even though he doesn't seem to mind, he would probably appreciate it if I greeted him at the door with a little less "frump." I don't even think that word should be in a twenty-one-year-old's vocabulary! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too consider myself frumptastic, but have told myself lately that even if I'm overweight and OLD, I can still dress nice and put on gloss. So I have been doing that, and it really does make me feel less like a sea creature and more like a semi-cute, albeit fat-assed mommy. Its progress!

    Maria @BOREDmommy

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!