Anyway, last night I was pooped. I took a Tylenol PM, just one so I could wake up in the morning, and went to bed, sure that in a matter of minutes I would be off to dreamland. Well, I wasn't. I don't know how long I laid there. I know that I smelled popcorn and I'm not sure if that was my husband or my brother-in-law {who is visiting for the weekend}, but I distinctly remember being grossed-out. I hate the smell of microwaved popcorn.
I do pretty good thinking while I'm trying to go to sleep. I come up with pretty good ideas and think about probably everything. I do a lot of praying while I'm trying to go to sleep. I do a lot of self-searching and reflecting while I'm trying to go to sleep.
So last night I was thinking about my Bible class. I'm starting to put together a new class for Benjamin and the other little boy who comes occasionally. It's on prayer, and we're going to just look at all the different things that we pray about {in hopes to establish at least an understanding that when we pray, we are quiet and reverent}.
I was thinking about the different things we can pray for, for our families, and to thank God for our food and for the Bible. I was thinking about the different songs we could sing during class...
And then I thought about the song, "Read your Bible, Pray every day..."
I sing that one to Benjamin a lot. But sometimes I don't do too well with carrying through with what I'm trying to instill in Benjamin, and that isn't right.
So I'm starting a study. I am going to take one verse per week, memorize it, study it, think about it, meditate on it, pray about it. All week. Just one verse. My topic of study is something I know I will benefit from: How to be a godly woman.
I'm inviting you all to join in this study with me. I know that sometimes being a mommy or even just a wife comes with so many responsibilities that we sometimes forget to slow down and give attention to our Creator. I am really ashamed to admit that I sometimes allow other things in before my God. Matthew 6:33 says, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." - I want to be taken care of, so I need to put God first.
That means that other areas of my life won't be as active. I never, ever devote complete days to one activity, unless it is something Spiritual. I never, ever devote a complete day to cleaning my house, because for one thing cleaning would take too much out of me to really give any attention to anything else, and another, if I'm cleaning all day, where am I devoting time to God? Is my house becoming my idol?
When I plan my day, what do I center it around? If it isn't centered around God, then there is a problem. Even if it is my job to take care of my son and my house and my family with my various responsibilities, if my center is not God, nothing else matters. God needs to be my hub, and every other aspect needs to be the spokes of my wheel. Just because my husband is a preacher doesn't mean I'm going to get to heaven if I don't do what God tells me.
Anyway, I just went off on a rabbit trail... I've made my way back, though! As I was saying, one verse per week. It's really not that much. Of course, I like to draw parallels to other verses when I study. I would really love for you to join me in this study. You don't have to write your own blog posts about it. We can all have a wonderful discussion in the comments of the post. I believe you can subscribe to the comments by e-mail.
Feel free to add those banners to your blog to invite others to join in on the study. The more, the merrier.
We're starting this coming Monday with Proverbs 31:10. We'll go through the rest of that chapter, and move on to other sections of scripture that have to do with being a godly woman in today's world.
I'm really excited about this! I hope you are too!
Now, I have got to get Benjamin's class planned! I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
Very cool! I'm in. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great idea (and a good one for Ben's class too!) I decided back in Jan. of '09 that I wanted to be able to tell my kids that I had in fact read the entire Bible whenever they asked. So when I try to instill Bible reading for them on their own I'd be able to set that example. Well I'm almost done (it's taken longer than the yearly calendar that I was following) But it has been great. It's different from studying though... so I'm excited about your more indepth look at verses. :)
ReplyDeleteFirst and foremost, I totally read your blog at first and thought you said...last night I pooped. I was like whoa nelly that is tmi. :)
ReplyDeleteSecondly. I am in love with this idea and fully support it. I would love to participate.
Third. I like your idea for bible class for Benjamin and company. Very awesome.
What a wonderful idea, Kristen. I'd love to participate.
ReplyDeleteHaha, I thought she said the same thing!! :)
ReplyDeleteHey girl! This is a wonderful idea! Can't wait to participate!
ReplyDeleteGreat! I'm so glad you're interested!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! That is such a great way to show your kids that the Bible is important. I'm glad you'll be joining us!
ReplyDeleteYikes! Sorry! Hahaha!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are going to participate! <3
And thank you, I am really excited about Benjamin's class. I have put a lot of work into it, I hope it pays off!
How embarrassing, Hahaaa!!
ReplyDeleteGreat! I am really glad you'll join in!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic! I am so excited!!
ReplyDeleteI think is great what you are doing. Gosh, there are SO many times that my time with God gets put off and it's really my own fault. I'm not putting my priorities where they need to be. I'd love to join in.
ReplyDeleteI thought that too about the poop! lol
ReplyDeleteI'm excited! I know this will be great!
ReplyDeleteI struggle with my focus as well. Reagan will go down for her nap and I'll think, "Ok, a few minutes of my favorite computer game, then some Bible study, then some cleaning, etc. until she wakes up." Next thing I know 2 hours have gone by, Reagan's waking up, and I've not gotten off the computer yet. I say my top priority is God, but I don't always prove it. I know we can do it though!
Hope Ben's class goes well!
This is great, Kristen, count me in! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful idea - my daughters and I will be glad to join you on your journey!
ReplyDeleteWhat an excellent and important idea. I will be joining. Blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful idea! Thanks for heading it up! I'm excited to follow along! :)
ReplyDelete