A ... can of ... is that pumpkin?
And ... oh dear ...
Other food-preparation devices?
Surely ... surely she is with Benjamin ...
Oh no.
Now I'm worried ...
Yes. I was baking.
I am allowed in the kitchen sometimes. If I haven't said so before, I absolutely hate cooking. Thankfully I was blessed with a Hubby who doesn't mind it, and is very good at it. Me, I stick to baking. I enjoy baking (maybe because baking brings out all those delicious things we shouldn't eat) and this time I thought I'd try my hand at a pumpkin pie. I may have mentioned before that I love pumpkin. Pumpkin bread is my favorite food. Pumpkin spice frappuccino is my favorite drink from Starbucks. I even like the color pumpkin.
If I do say so myself, I can make a mean loaf of pumpkin bread. But I had never tried any sort of pie, much less a pumpkin pie. I felt it was high-time. I used the opportunity of the congregation's fish fry this past Saturday as a way to try out my pumpkin pie baking skills. Technically the women weren't allowed to do anything as it was a Women's Appreciation fish fry (by the way, I hate fish), but they let this slide.
Besides the places where I stabbed it with a knife, I think it turned out quite lovely, don't you think?
I was so proud of myself for making a pie, but I didn't announce it to everyone else at the fish fry that it was mine, just in case it tasted like dirt. Once I had a taste and knew it wasn't a mud pie like I thought it may turn out to be, I claimed it. It was good. I made it with a graham cracker crust because I really don't like pasty crust. Perhaps that is why it has taken me so long to actually want to make a pie. The graham cracker crust went really well with the pumpkin and it tasted really, really good.
I guess the true testament to that is the fact that we didn't take any home with us!
I think I have earned my right to wield food preparation devices! And I will do so, with confidence. And a little bit of weirdness.
It was very good indeed. Best I've had I believe.
ReplyDeleteKristen, I heard about your blog and thought I would check it out. You are hilarious! I can't wait to read more!!
ReplyDeleteCheck out my blog at welcometopaceplace.blogspot.com
Later!
Mmmmm...I absolutely LOVE pumpking pie! It's my favorite part of Thanksgiving and fall. My grandmother always gets a pumpking cheesecake at Thanksgiving, which is also good. I would recommend that to any pumpkin lover. I might have to go buy a pie now. :)
ReplyDeletebtw...my cat's name is Punkin! Yes, he is orange. :)
I've never made pumpkin pie but looks like you did great on yours.
ReplyDeleteHa! I just made pumpkin pie the other day too! Well crust-less pumpkin pie. It did not count as much without the crust. Crust, no crust I love PUMPKIN! I have this awesome recipe that I found. It was created by Paula Dean so you know it is good. It is called Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle. Google it and you will not go wrong. People who do not like pumpkin or gingerbread LOVE this dish! I think it is better to bake the to cook dinner because baking fills the house with lovely scents. YUMMY!
ReplyDeleteThat turned out really great! No more worries, you can make it all now!
ReplyDeletePumpkin pie is one of my favorites and it looks delish.
ReplyDeleteMMmmm I love pumpkin pie! Haven't had it yet bu this post definitely put me in the mood :)I love fall food well and fall in general of course ;) hehehe :)
ReplyDeleteYummy for people who like pumpkin, I don't! So happy things turned out for you in the kitchen! I like baking much better then cooking! Love the new layout!
ReplyDeleteWoah - your blog is amazing!! I LOVE it! How did you do it? Please share your secret :)
ReplyDeleteI love that pic of you being worried - how funny!! And that red apron is super cute. I want a cute apron, maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas.
I am so glad that pie turned out good! I am so not a pie maker either. I stick to easy to make things like cookies and brownies.