10.02.2009

Show Us Your Life - Baby Gear

Show us Your Life is a Blog Carnival started by Kelly at Kelly's Korner. I have been meaning to keep up with this, but you know how things go.

Today's Show Us Your Life is Baby Gear! I am going to share with you some gear that worked for us, and some that didn't. Every baby is different, but this is how things turned out over here! For you first time pregnant moms getting advice and gathering items, take it all with a grain of salt! Your baby may be different!



GOOD INVESTMENTS:

1. Bouncy Seat - I don't know what I would have done without the Bouncy Seat by Boppy that we got (well, we actually got 2) at my baby shower. Benjamin could just sit in there happily for a good long while and let us get stuff done. If ever I needed to take a shower and Hubby wasn't home, I'd just put Ben down in the bouncy seat and take a quick shower. We used it up until he was probably up until he was 6 months old when he just got too big for it.

2. Highchair/booster seat - We love our Safety 1st booster seat! It has a removable backing for when Benjamin is older, and the tray comes off, too. We got ours at a Yard Sale, and so the straps are missing, but I am sure this would be great to strap down to a chair at the dinner table. Benjamin sits so well in it, and actually fits in it.

3. Jump-A-Roo - We thought about getting an Exersaucer, and while those do entertain Benjamin for a little while, we decided on a Jump-A-Roo, and we are SO glad we did. Benjamin loves jumping in it and sometimes he'll even jump himself to sleep. It's good when he's fighting sleep because he'll just give in and lay his head down and that is indication that he is ready to go down for a nap without a fight!

4. Fisherprice Swing - We got ours free but I do recommend this! We haven't used ours in a couple of months due to it just wearing down because of his size, and the fact that he's just not interested in it (well, he wasn't last we tried). In the early months this was really handy, especially on those early, early mornings when I'd have to come downstairs with him because he wanted to stay up. It soothed him right to sleep!

5. Graco Stroller/Carrier system - We use this travel system more than any other type of carrier. Ben has always loved it. We started him out facing outward, just leaned back really far so he could lay back in it. We did use the carrier on top as well, when he fit in that.

6. Rainforest soother - The Fisherprice Rainforest Soother was very helpful when we were having problems with Benjamin going to sleep in his own crib. We'd still use it now if I could only remember to put new batteries in it!!

7. Front carrier - We have an Evenflo front carrier that we both enjoy. When we don't want to use the stroller, we take this along on our walks and everyone enjoys it. Even Hubby wears it!

8. Johnny Jump-Up - this is on the good and not-so-good list. The reason this one is on the good list is because occasionally if we need to be in the kitchen cooking or cleaning and the other isn't there to watch Benjamin, this is where we put him and he will sit there for a good amount of time before getting tired of it. It is also good when we have a meal at the table and Benjamin can't sit in his booster seat (remember- it doesn't have straps), or if we are playing a game at the table.

9. Wipes warmer - Slap a cold wipe on Benjamin when he was younger and he'd pitch a fit. Warm wipes made all the difference and made diaper changing time that much easier.



NOT-SO-GOOD INVESTMENTS:

1. Bumbo - The Bumbo was one thing I really wanted for Benjamin and truthfully it is one of the worst investments. We only used it a few times for feeding and some for Bible class, but his legs were too fat for it very quickly. We definitely did not get our money's worth. For feeding, I wanted something with a taller back, which is why we got the Booster seat.

2. Sling carrier - We used our Infantino sling carrier maybe 5 times. Maybe. It was useful a time or two when we went grocery shopping or took him to the doctor, and a time or two when I needed an extra hand to clean. He quickly outgrew it, and we just did not get our money's worth with this, either.

3. Johnny Jump Up - The reason this is also on the Not-So-Good list is because Benjamin has never jumped in this. Ever. I have never seen his feet leave the ground because he has jumped on his own accord. So ... why is it a jump-up?

4. Baby Bath Tub - We used this ... twice? We even got the fancy one with the shower attached and none of us liked this. Benjamin did so much better bathing in the big tub, and we felt more confident with him in there with either one of us while we bathed him.

5. Pack N Play - SO FAR this has not been the best baby gear. We used it for a few weeks as his bed in the beginning but then he would not sleep in it, so we switched to co-sleeping until he was 3 months old. We took it down and have not used it since. We will be using it in December when we take our trip to Charleston, so perhaps later on it will make the Good Investment list.

6. Diaper Champ - This was useful until we switched to Cloth Diapers. Now it is difficult to get wipes to go down. Really unnecessary (but I was SO excited when we bought it!).

7. Swaddle blankets - After a couple weeks old, Benjamin was no longer interested in all his limbs being tucked in tight. He had to have his arms up around his head and his legs free to kick around (because he would kick his legs in his sleep).


That's all I can think of! I hope this helps, but like I said, every baby is different! Let me know if you have a Show Us Your Life post to share, too!

5 comments:

  1. Great list. Landon loves his jumper roo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had a jumperoo when Molly was little. She would have loved it! I agree, I hate our diaper champ, smelly, we threw it away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great ideas! My sis has a jumperoo (and a bunch of other gear) that I'm going to borrow for my baby. It's so nice be able to know what has worked for others!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have all those things but I agree with you on what we did have that was the same. There really weren't that many must haves. I could have lived without a lot of the gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have all those things but I agree with you on what we did have that was the same. There really weren't that many must haves. I could have lived without a lot of the gadgets!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!