5.28.2010

What is WRONG with us?!

I am so appalled.

We don’t have cable TV or anything so I don’t know much at all about new movies that are coming out or different shows that are on TV. I just know about ones that I might be interested in. But I do find out about movies via Facebook sometimes, if someone has gone to see or is going to see a new movie that is out, and I can sometimes go look it up to see what it’s all about, out of curiosity’s sake.

There are some movies out there that I really don’t have to look up, though, especially ones with curse words in the title or other titles with sinful connotations.

And okay, I have given up on being surprised with the nasty garbage that Hollywood puts out. It’s to be expected. {That doesn’t mean I don’t think it is wrong, because I do, I’ve just stopped being surprised by it all}

But what has me so appalled and what makes my stomach churn is when I see members of the Lord’s body posting on Facebook that “_____________ is my favorite movie of all time!!!” or “I’m going to see ________________!!!” or “I just saw ________________ and it was [insert positive adjective here]!!!”

What is wrong with us?! Why is it okay for Christians to go see these types of sinful movies?! And we can’t blame it on “well I didn’t know it was going to be like that” because the great thing about having information right at our fingertips is that we can look up things like this on the internet if we have any question. And let’s face it. If it’s got bad stuff in it, even the mild stuff is going to be in the advertisements because that is how Hollywood draws the WORLD in.

Are we the WORLD? NO! We are separate from the world!! Or, we are supposed to be anyway! And yet I see all the time about Christians going to see movies like the Hangover {Hello, HANGOVER? yes, that sounds like a GREAT, wholesome movie there…}!! Really?? Really??

There is this great website called Kids In Mind that gives movie reviews and ratings so that families can see if they are appropriate to take their kids to {or let their kids go to – a side note, if your kid is not an adult and lives at home with you: YOU HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO SAY NO!}. I went to it today when I saw that a Christian young lady was going to see the Hangover and right there on the front page:

nasty

And let me also say that I COULD NOT stomach the reasons why they had such high ratings {because you can click on the movie and see what content was rated}. It was DISGUSTING.

WHY is a Christian going to see this movie, and what’s more, WHY ARE HER PARENTS ALLOWING THIS?!

I am just so, so appalled by this.

Parents NEED to take responsibility and Christians need to stop giving place to the devil!

And now I’ll get off of my little soap box here… ugh, I need to go scrub my eyeballs!

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is "Aaa-men" to everything you said. It's shameful that we are so often not only OF the world instead of IN the world, but cheering the world on, as well. Thanks for standing up! If more of us brought attention to these things, perhaps others who have not been taught would learn and those who have been taught but don't think it's a big deal would think about it more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big AMEN!  I got online to see what all the buzz was about this movie.  Heard a group of people was going to see this film.  It was so bad that they had to keep pushing back the release date because it was too racy and that was by Hollywood standards so it must have been truly horrendous but as it stands I went to one of the online “Christian review” sites and I didn’t even finish the review because it was just absurd!   Maybe parents don’t know.  They should take that initiative to find out.  However, sadly the group I heard talking about his movie were adults fully grown!  What are people thinking?  Have we totally become that immune?  Saw this article today on Hollywood’s liberal agenda for TV and film.  People in Hollywood admit to entertaining you with liberalism.  It’s worth taking a look before you want to watch another “harmless” TV show too :  http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/tv-executives-admit-in-taped-interviews-that-hollywood-pushes-a-liberal-agenda--3086
    Hope you guys are doing well!  Thanks for this wonderful post!  Girl you are so right on this subject and this needs to be “taught”!  Thank you for that!  You are a light on a hill!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!