5.18.2010

Step By Step

I've been thinking a lot lately as Benjamin has been changing so fast and so much here recently... learning new things and doing new things. It's exciting to see him grow and learn and take new steps toward being a "big boy". But it's also kind of sad to me because he's my baby and he's not going to be a baby always. He'll always be my baby, but one day he's going to be able to zip up his pants on his own and tie his own shoes. Yesterday he pee-peed on the potty so we're going to start potty learning here soon, and it's a big step.

DSC02116

I keep thinking back to an e-mail that my dad had sent me at the beginning of the year:

With a holiday week full of blessings and family close by a memorable thing happened … Benjamin took his first steps! It was an exciting time for me but both Kristen and Melanie found it sad. The two even shed tears over the event. 340 days after his birth he took his first steps alone and tears of sadness came. I asked why and they said that he is growing up – he’ll never be that young again. True, but it must be a time of celebration! That’s the way it should be! A healthy person should be walking (or close to it) at his age.

What Kristen didn’t see was that 340 days before this she took a step too. And this step was definitely a cause of celebration! Benjamin’s birth was looked forward to for many months before and with this birth she began her life with a new title of “Mom”. What a blessing!

527days prior to Benjamin’s birth Kristen took a step that Melanie was taking in another 4 days: marriage. Kristen and Carl started their life together after leaving their parent’s home; Steven and Melanie would be soon as well. That’s the way it should be.

Today, as I watched Melanie and Steven drive off on my wife’s birthday, I thought about this step they had taken. All these steps and no one really knows where life will take them. But that’s the way it should be!

We know that the way of man is not in himself (Jeremiah 10:23) so we are to rely on our heavenly Father through His word to guide us. His word is to be a lamp to our feet and a light to our path (Psalm 119:105). As a parent this is what I want most from our “children” and their families. If their first steps are illuminated by God’s Word, and they hold fast to this until their last step, I know where their path leads!

Time goes by quickly, it truly is a vapor (James 4:14).

As I watched Steven’s truck drive off with his new bride I fought the urge to be sad. This was a step they were taking together and it was with God … that’s the way it should be! I’ll be happy but I won’t like it … after all, they’re making my bride and I take a step too!
… on the other hand, Benjamin’s birthday will be celebrated in 17 days … another step!

DSC02117

So here's to steps! Here's to the excitement of learning new things and experiencing new joys {and inevitably, tears}!

DSC02122

Here's to another step... and another... and another...

DSC02124

post signature

2 comments:

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!