I have a problem with holding my tongue. I don't mean that I can't control my tongue so that profanity rolls off of it. But I do have a problem holding my tongue on the road. There are so many people out there who I feel shouldn't be out there driving, and when I see someone doing something stupid out there, I ... well, for lack of better term, I explode. You can ask my husband.
The good news is, I'm improving. Today when our light turned green, I was very thankful that Carl didn't immediately move because about 5-10 seconds after the light turned, here came this speeding SUV on through her red light. I looked, and she was talking on her cell phone {of course}. If my husband had gone ahead right when the light turned green, and if he hadn't put on the brakes when he realized she was barreling through, we would have been creamed. And that makes me mad.
The bad news is that I still yelled when the woman barreled through. I still fumed about it for a while afterward. While it was definitely not okay for her to zoom through that redlight and put others' lives at risk, it was not okay for me to rant and rave about what she did, either. Especially not with Benjamin in the car! What kind of example am I setting for my son when I'm up here hollering about how "stupid" the woman was?
"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6
And what about the people in other cars who can see me getting upset in my car? Do you think that those people would think I was a Christian from what they saw? I doubt it.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:16
Holding my tongue and keeping my temper at bay is something I am constantly working on. I'm flawed. The woman made a mistake and so did I. And maybe she will pay more attention to her driving after this, and maybe she'll put down her phone when she's driving. And next time I'll put more effort into making sure I'm setting the right example for my child, and keeping a Christ-like attitude about the things and people around me.
Pray for me as I try to improve. We're all a work in progress, aren't we?
I still love you, and you still have less flaws than me at least. I'm just glad we work together to temper each other's flaws.
ReplyDeleteI love you too :) you are wonderful! Thank you for reminding me of Colossians 4:6
ReplyDeleteYes Kristen we are all flawed! The good thing about you is that you recognize the fact and aren't ashamed to admit it. Too often as Christians we want to give the impression that we are perfect or 'have it all together' when in fact we are struggling just like everyone else.
ReplyDeleteI try to have patience with everyone, even come up with reasons in my head for why someone in the world is rude to me (they may be having a bad day, just been through a divorce, had someone be rude to them etc.) If I give in and be rude back then I am only being a part of the problem not the solution. It is all a lot of hard work - but it is worth it! Good work Kristen.
I know exactly how you feel! I get so mad, like you, but then I remember that Madeline is back there hearing everything I say, and I get quite. It is so hard for me too, but I'm working on it. With Madeline being in the car - it just burns me up when people do dumb things like that woman did. I always think to myself how some people have no consideration for others around them. Matt, Madeline, and I were on 85 driving to my moms on Mother's Day weekend - I looked over and saw this car just spinning out of control. They hit the guardrail and it wrapped around their car. Everyone passed by them, and we stopped. Everyone was slowing down almost to a stop, so Matt tried to look for a break in the traffic to get across the street to help. We watched that man jump out of his car, grab his young child, younger than Madeline and Benjamin, and another little girl - maybe 3-4 years old, and drag his wife out of the car. Thankfully everyone was alright. The person that hit them? They just drove off. Hit and run. I was so angry!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, praying for you (and me!) as we learn to control our tongues!
Girl we all have those days...i'm thankful for your honest heart!! Being a Christian is hard enough at times but being watched by little eyes is the hardest challenge I've ever faced yet! You are a great example just by being aware and willing to change :)
ReplyDeleteMy hubby can be like that in the car. I think he thinks everybody on the road but him are idiots. I constantly tell him to chill out.
ReplyDelete