4.19.2011

Teach Them Diligently Unto Thy Children

I am pretty sure that every Christian parent or every Christian who desires to be a parent some day knows that teaching their child about Jesus, God, the Bible, and the Church should start early. Getting your roots in deep is so important. We know that the Bible stresses teaching our children all throughout the day no matter what we are doing.

“And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.” Deuteronomy 6:7

I am always looking for new things to help making learning about the Bible fun at home with Benjamin. I wanted to take a little time out to share with you a few things that we have found that have really been fun and have helped us, and most importantly that Benjamin loves, and also ask you what sorts of things you use!

1. AP Reader Series: Learn To Read

Thumbnail

My mom bought all 6 of these books for Benjamin while we were in Memphis. So far he has really enjoyed them. He has the Goose, Moose, and Mongoose book memorized and I am pretty sure he is about to have the Dogs, Frogs, and Hogs one memorized as well because that seems to be his second favorite. Anyway, It talks about different qualities of each of the animals, but most importantly talks about God creating the animals and tells which day they were created on. Benjamin really loves these books! If your kid is very interested in reading books plus animals, I would definitely recommend these! You can look at them here.

2. AP Creation Cards

Thumbnail (1) Thumbnail (2)

We have had these for a long while, actually. Benjamin has been looking at these since he was a year old and he still loves to look at them. Basically, they are cards which have pictures on them (The Creation ones have things like trees, grass, water, etc; the Animal Kingdom ones have dogs, cats, horses, fish, etc) and the names of whatever is pictured as well. On the back, it has information about whatever is pictured and talks about God creating them and on which day. These used to be really good in services to keep Benjamin quiet and content, but now he sometimes likes to tell me all about the card so the quiet isn’t always achieved there. Ha! You can check these out here and here.

3. Each Little Dewdrop

Each-Little-Dew-Drop-new

This is a CD that we got last year at the Lectureship but didn’t really start listening until a few months ago (mostly because I left it at a friend’s house who lived in a different state). It has songs on it that cover a variety of topics all throughout the Bible, starting with the Books of the Old Testament and going all the way through to Eutycus and then some! Benjamin absolutely loves this CD and rumor has it that Reagan is a big fan as well! Benjamin’s favorite happens to be the song about the valley of Dry Bones and Ezekiel. And I have to admit that even I have learned from these songs, so there you go! They are fun and catchy, and a capella as well! You can check this out here.

{By the way, I learned how to spell Deuteronomy flawlessly with this CD HA!}

4. Hannah’s Hundred

hannahshundred1

As you can see, Hannah’s Hundred is a CD of 100 verses of scripture in [a capella] song. We just got this CD at the lectureships this year. There are more than one volume but this is the one that we have. They are very fun songs which makes for a fun way to learn scripture together. We have not listened to this one all the way through yet because all Benjamin ever wants to do is listen to Each Little Dewdrop but it’s all good. What we have listened to we have liked! You can check out this CD here.

-----------------------

We have a few other things too and maybe at another time I will get those written down as well for y’all. Anyway, those are the four things we have used a lot recently. So tell me what you use. Do a blog post if you’d like! What is it that you use with your kids that you all have really enjoyed?

5 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying your daily devotionals! I loved this post. We use a lot of the same things listed above but I want to check out Each Little Dewdrop! This is something nice to share! I have a draft of some things we are using, I just havent finished it yet. One thing that I am considering using for our curriculum next year is Engraving Heavenly Truths. Ever heard of that or used it? Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this! We need to share more things like this with one another and I am so glad you did! You did a great job! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious Moments Bedtime Stories ( http://www.amazon.com/Precious-Moments-Bedtime-Stories-Butcher/dp/0801009596/ref=pd_sim_b_1 ) is an amazing collection. :) My book practically is falling apart; I've had it since I was a year old. XD It has a section in the back where you can write in family bedtime prayers and everything. Good lessons, too. :) The Precious Moments Bible is good, too.....again, mine is falling apart, though I definitely looked at it more when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah! We used a lot of the EHT things for bible class growing up. Those are good and would be great to add to a curriculum! Love that idea!! Can't wait to see your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paige! That is way cute!! And sounds very sentimental :) That is special

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reagan does love Each Little Dewdrop! When she was younger that and Hannah's hundred would put her to sleep in the car every time because she was used to me singing her to sleep. Now she enjoys staying away during the songs. :) We just got the animal kingdom creation cards at the lectureship and they are currently scattered all over the floor. I'll have to check out those books sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!