7.08.2010

Black, Blue

Today's 30 Days of Music Category is:

day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event

This one was not hard for me to think of. In fact, every time I hear this song, I think of this one event. The song today is "Black, Blue" by the Avett Brothers {though the Video I am going to post is only Seth Avett}. It reminds me of a very special event: one of the first times I was able to hold my baby boy {without nearly passing out, that is}. This is such a beautiful song, and Seth Avett just so happens to be my favorite musician, just as the Avett Brothers are my favorite band. My favorite concert was when I was able to see them Live and also meet them afterward and talk quite a bit with each of them. Bob signed my shirt, we have a guitar string from Seth's guitar, and we have an album cover that they all signed.

Anyway, back to the event. I know a lot of you know about the difficulties with Benjamin's birth, but I'll recall them again for those who may not.

I had a long, hard, induced labor. It was difficult. It was all wrong. I went in and was induced at 5AM and he was finally born at 9:40PM. I held my baby boy very briefly afterward and it was magical and beautiful, but then they took him away to clean him up and do all the weighing and measuring, and that's when things went wrong. I was bleeding out and they could not control it. The edges of my vision went dark and I told them that I thought I was passing out, and then everything went black. I was still conscious, I just could not see. I begged them to let me close my eyes, but Carl was by my side and he was begging me to keep them open. I don't know how long it took but they finally were able to stop the bleeding and I could finally see again.

But I was so weak. I couldn't hold my baby for long periods of time because my arms were so weak from all the needles. This song is playing in the background of a video of one of the first times I held Benjamin. I don't know if everyone can view it, but you can try... facebook friends with my husband can see it I know, but if you click here it'll take you to it.

Anyway, I always think of holding Benjamin when I hear this song. Here it is:



I'm playing it for Benjamin and he is "singing" along... it's the sweetest thing!



post signature

3 comments:

  1. I almost chose this one actually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a memory, Kristen. The song is so fitting for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard the song before and I really like it. I'm sorry that you went through that with your son's birth though. Glad everything turned out okay! I think I want to join the music thing you are doing, but I'll be a bit behind on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!