7.05.2010

Far Above Rubies: Proverbs 31:21

Far Above Rubies


Did you guys miss this? Because I sure did! I hope you all got caught up while you could because we are diving right in! {I know some of you are traveling to the States, and are preparing for a Wedding, so I understand!!} This week we are going to be looking at Proverbs 31:21.

"She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet."
- Proverbs 31:21

The word "scarlet" here actually refers to "double-clothing" - which refers to warm clothing. This virtuous woman is not afraid of inclement weather because she is prepared! A lot of these verses are really focused on the efforts that the woman puts into her family. One of these efforts seems to also be preparing for the future.

This also shows how much thought she really puts into her family. Not only the fact that she is prepared, but you have to think... to not have to worry about certain things because you are prepared, you really have to care about and love your family. Sometimes it does come easy for women because we are naturally nurturers.

What kind of things helps you to be prepared for your family? Not only with things such as preparing for the weather, but other things. We try to stockpile when we can. This goes along with couponing.There are some things we are good on for a while, which is comforting. In certain situations we will be prepared. I am sure there are other things we can be prepared for - so do you have any tips?

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Yes, Kris!!! I HAVE MISSED IT! =) It's such a great study!!! I love this about being prepared and not having to worry. This can be put into practice in so many parts of our lives. We always have work to do, and there are so many events that will go so much better if we are nicely prepared for it and not having to rush around at the last minute. My parents are great examples of orderliness and have taught me well. It is always good to know we are prepared, but also very important to that things can change at any minute, but that God is always in charge. We will always be provided for as long as we are obeying Him. <3 you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that I really need to work on! I find myself unprepared a lot of the time, mainly because I just flat out forget to do things. I'm very scatterbrained and forgetful sometimes. In order for me to be somewhat orderly and prepared I HAVE to do lists. I'm trying to stay ahead of the game by buying things while I have coupons and they are on sale so we have one when we run out, but once again, I'm forgetful and we forgot to buy a Sunday paper for an entire month!
    I think the most important thing to be prepared for is the day of judgement. The best way to be prepared is to study God's word to know how he expects you to live your life. As a mother it also my job to make sure my child is prepared. I can do this by teaching her about God, reading her God's word, singing songs that teach her biblical lessons, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I definitely agree with you, and being prepared is something I need to work on, I think what I struggle with is worrying TOO much and not trusting God. I am known for being paranoid, over protective and the like. Obviously that is not a good testimony and something that God is dealing with me about. After all, God has not given me a spirit of fear, right??? :)

    But on the preparedness side, this is probably a no-brainer, but I tend to put it off and that is educating my kids on knowing how to act if there is a fire in the house or the electricity goes out or if we lived a little further west, how to act in an earthquake. My house burned down my senior year of highschool when we were all getting ready for bed one night. It happened SO fast...but we had all been taught what to do and how to act (plus we were older) that it was far less traumatic I think than if we would have been running around helter skelter with all 7 of us doing our own thing...

    And yes, Kristen!!! I HAVE missed this! Course I have been out of town a ton lately so I wouldn't know if you have been posting on this or not, but I have missed being here for it! :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got caught up: http://beingwhatiwanttobe.blogspot.com/2010/07/proverbs-3118-21.html.

    I immediately thought of couponing/spending money wisely when I was writing this post in regards to being prepared, but other things didn't come to mind so easily. As I've thought about it more, I've thought about how my lack of taking care of the simple things (like keeping the house in a decent manner - I'm not even talking perfect) have really caused issues because I end up being stressed or not being able to the things I need to do. I've also thought about things like having a plan in regards to what I'll make for dinner or knowing that I need to devote a certain amount of time to something (so I need to make sure I have that time). I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else says!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's Thursday, and I'm just getting to this, but better late than never, right? (In fact, I have tons of things I want to say on all of the other weeks too, but I feel so scatter-brained. So I'm starting here.) Thanks so much for this study!

    Aside from things already mentioned, I think it's CRITICAL to be prepared for our growing kids' questions! The best (and truly only) way to do this is to spend time in the Word so that when they ask us things like, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" and "What is heaven like?" we aren't caught completely off guard and we're prepared with a biblical answer. It's kind of like studying for a pop-quiz.

    I also think it is important to be prepared for our futures financially. It means thinking about our retirement - even in our 20's, so that we don't burden our children with the responsibility. The financial areas are so important to set an example for our kids. This is an extension on couponing and stockpiling, which frees up pennies, nickels and dimes for use elsewhere (like savings).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been kinda hard for me to keep up w/ online things lately so I'm gonna combine this wk w/ next wk.

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!