"She maketh herself coverings of tapestry;
her clothing is silk and purple."
Proverbs 31:22
From my readings I have gathered that this verse is here to show the Virtuous Woman's fine taste and her efforts to really please the eye of her husband. This woman not only works outside, but she works inside by making these types of things. "Jack of All Trades" comes to mind. While these days it is oftentimes more cost-effective to buy from stores, we still should be willing to work with our hands when the need arises.
"Her clothing is silk and purple" - her family was not poor it seems. She is wearing fine clothing and I'm going to go ahead and assume she takes care of herself. I don't think silk and purple equates to sweats and t-shirt... of which I am definitely guilty! I don't know about you all but I sometimes just get lazy and throw on whatever I can find without much of a thought. Of course, I don't think there is anything wrong with this, but I also think I should be putting more of an effort to look nice for my husband. I know I didn't go around looking like a slob when we were "courting".
It doesn't take much to "let yourself go", so to speak. Now I'm not saying I look horrible day in and day out but I could do better. I think when you take care of your appearance and take care for what you put on in the morning, you feel better about yourself. And I know that one of the ways the devil really gets to us women is by picking at our self-esteem. There are too many Christian women out there who suffer from low self-esteem and I am here to say this: THAT IS THE DEVIL! The devil loves to tear us down. He loves to make us feel inferior and make us "covet" after the body types or the clothing of those around us. He gets in and so severely attacks our self-esteem that it is all we can think about. We become more focused on Earthly things like perhaps our clothing or our weight or different aspects of our appearance, instead of focusing on Spiritual things. There are so many people out there who put so much effort into these worldly things that they forget what is truly the most important thing for us to make sure is pure and beautiful: our souls.
Now I say this because while yes, you should put forth an effort into how you look {at least those of us who have husbands need to realize we don't need to jip them! ha!}, but there is an extreme you can go to and that is putting too much thought into it. We don't need to spend so much time on our appearance and end up jipping ourselves out on true beauty, Spiritual beauty.
Any husband who wishes to have this virtuous wife I am sure would rather have a spiritually beautiful woman than an outwardly beautiful woman. In fact, if you read on in Proverbs you'll eventually get to this verse:
"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain:
but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."
Proverbs 31:30
I will save my thoughts on that verse for when we get to it, but I felt like it tied in to what I was saying before.
I hope you ladies have been able to understand what I've been trying to say here. I feel like it is all jumbled up and incoherent. If it is - I am so sorry! I am very interested in your thoughts on the subject!
Oh, by the way. I was thinking about what I was going to say on this verse while I was showering, and I made sure to make myself look nice before I sat down and wrote this. How terrible would it have been for me to go on about looking nice for your husband and sit here in my slob garb! Ha!
Y'all have a great week!
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's all about balance when it comes to appearance. We want to look nice, but we don't want to be too worried about it. It shouldn't rule our lives and most definitely shouldn't take precedence over our Spiritual health.
ReplyDeleteI think you put it perfectly...while I am reading this in my slouchy capris and old t-shirt!!! Ouch. Great reminder, thanks Kristen! I should go run and do a few things before my Hubby gets home! ;) I worked hard at cleaning the kitchen today for him, but I am thinking he would appreciate a clean me just as much! ;)
ReplyDeleteI never thought about when we tear ourselves down, it's the devil, but you're right!
ReplyDeletehehe, I think you're right. I think my husband at least cares less about the house than he does of me!
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's amazing how you can see how he might work in different aspects of our life and not even realize it!
ReplyDeleteYep that is exactly what I was trying to convey! I am glad it came out right! ha!
ReplyDeleteGreat post -- and excellent insight and words of wisdom. Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteI love this! I love how you write, what you think about, and how you'll always working to make yourself better!!!!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you - everything you said here! It's so easy to start feeling down, "blah", bored, etc etc etc. when I spend days here at home without going anywhere or talking to anyone but my babies. You're so right - that is satan. I can see him dancing a jig every time I start to think negatively about myself or my duties.
ReplyDeleteI don't always make it to the shower first thing in the morning. It's hard sometimes to get out of my pjs before noon. BUT I always make an effort to look nice before my husband comes home - even if I'm just stepping out of the shower as he is leaving work. It seems to please him, and it makes me feel better about me.
I read once (can't remember who wrote it) that we should also be choosy about the pjs we wear. I'm not AT ALL saying that a woman should never wear sweats or big t shirts. But, we put a lot of effort into looking nice when we go out or will be seeing anyone outside our families, and making sure our outfits are cute and every hair is in place. But then the kids go to bed and we get comfy, and it doesn't matter anymore. I have always done that. "He loves me so surely he doesn't care if I look sloppy - it's almost bedtime anyway." But, a husband might like a cute pair of pajamas every once in a while! (I'm not even talking about sexy, slinky lingerie. I'm really just talking about cute pjs.) My husband likes cute pjs. He likes it when I look relaxed and comfortable, but am wearing something cute. I can't really find the words that I want to say to explain this, but my point simply is that we can still be comfortable, and even slouchy when appropriate, and figure out what our husbands like and ways to be pleasing and attractive to them.