7.19.2010

Far Above Rubies: Proverbs 31:23

Far Above Rubies

"Her husband is known in the gates,
when he sitteth among the elders of the land."
Proverbs 31:23


This verse seems to be more about to whom the Virtuous Woman is married. Is she married to a man who is lazy and good-for-nothing? This verse says that she is not! He was a prominent, well-respected man. Back in this time, legal actions were not handled at a court house, but at the city gates {Ruth 4:11; Deuteronomy 25:5-10}. The fact that her husband is known in the gates and sits among the elders speaks a lot for him because that means he is not one of questionable repute. He is a good and honorable man.

To those who are yet unmarried, this can help you see what sort of man you might be looking for. A virtuous woman would not seek out a spouse who is of questionable repute, who would not be trusted by prominent leaders of the community. An honest, honorable man is what you should look for, and most of all one that is Spiritually Noble. One who will help you on your way to heaven.

For us women, it may not seem like it says much, but it does. If our husbands are well-known and well-respected, we should be as well. As a preacher's wife, my husband is well-known in the community {especially with his weekly column in the newspaper}, and my behavior should be that which would not bring shame to him or hurt his reputation or influence in any way, shape, or form. This means in tough situations, I am to always keep a Christian attitude.

And that goes for how we behave Online as well, since we all know that the Internet creates an entirely new community and can really influence a lot of people out there. What we say on Facebook or even our Blogs can really hurt the reputation and influence of our husbands, not to mention ourselves.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter! I know a lot of you are busy and can't quite make it to the computer a lot. This summer has been a busy one! But I do look forward to hearing the remarks of those who can get around to it!



post signature

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm....bet you wish you had read that verse before marrying me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of the Rutherfords. They are so well-known among the church, around the world. And they have become that by being wonderful examples and sound teachers. I am thrilled to know them, and to work towards the goal of being like they are, as they are like Christ. We can be well-known for many things- good and bad. It takes continual work to think of where you are, how you need to be acting, and who you might be teaching-- even without speaking any words. Great post, Kris!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you!! I'm about 3 wks behind on this so I hope to post this week with a catch up of my verses. Eeep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted my thoughts here: http://beingwhatiwanttobe.blogspot.com/2010/07/proverbs-3123.html

    I really appreciate your thoughts about how what we do as women affects our husbands' reputations. I also think it is important to really consider how we are "putting ourselves out there" on the internet. I'm shocked and discouraged too often when I see the types of things that young Christian woman post on Facebook or other places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you Lisa. I could probably name off a few (I won't) right off the top of my head! It's so discouraging that people don't have the mindset that God really does see all... it's like they forget that He exists!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry about it Holly! I know you are a busy mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your insight Kara. The Rutherfords are a wonderful example and I can think of so many others, too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, you ARE a great woman, Micah <3

    You're right!!! Our husbands need our unfailing support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He has a way of doing that....

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!