As of yesterday, Benjamin rides front-facing in his car seat. I really do feel sick every time I think of that, because I know how much safer it is for him to be rear-facing. I have been saying I would keep him rear-facing as long as possible - preferably up to 45 pounds. But recently every time we have gone to get Benjamin out of his carseat, he had his arms out of his straps. That is totally unsafe. And there really was no way we could stop him because we can't see around his seat, and no matter how tight we make it, he has figured out how to pull the clasp down enough to get his arms out.
Dangerous. And illegal?
So what other choice did I have? I figured I was just exchanging one safety issue for the next. Sigh. It was very hard for me to give the go ahead on that one. But there are other perks, such as being able to keep a better eye on him, and the air conditioner reaches him faster, which is really good since we have a black car and it is so hot!
Anyway, I feel so much better getting that off of my chest. I still feel really bad, and if I could, I would still have him rear-facing...
Well, we kept him rear-facing as long as we could, which was the original thought.
--------
Moving on! Today's 30 Days of Music category is:
day 06 - a song that reminds of you of somewhere
Mickey's Monkey - Mother's Finest
I know that one must be a surprising choice to most of you, so of course I will explain. This song reminds me of Home. Well, Mom and Dad's home. I remember as I was growing up, hearing this song early on Sunday mornings as Dad would play certain albums as we all got ready for church. This one has always stuck with me and I have always thought about Home when I hear it.
I sooooo thought you were about to say you were pregnant! LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteI thought the same thing! Good for your for keeping Benjamin rear facing as long as you did, Kristen. I know it was a tough decision for you, but it sounds like the best decision under the circumstances.
ReplyDeleteI would think he was big enough to face forward now anyhow? I understand the front facing thing though, especially if he's snacking or something. You want to be able to look and make sure he's not choking, etc.
ReplyDeleteI thought the prego thing too!! But I know your fears... I constantly worry our seatbelts are not tightening properly or that they don't stay positioned perfectly on my wiggle worms!! Both of mine went through a phase of getting our of their arm straps (it must be a fun trick!) We just had to really get on to them till they learned it was a BIG no-no!
ReplyDeleteThat's not a very nice trick...you knew what you were doing with that buildup woman!
ReplyDeleteOh, did you ... ? bwhahaha
ReplyDeletehehehe...
ReplyDeleteThanks, it was tough but I think it was the right decision too
Who, little ol' me?
ReplyDeletehehehe ... ok I admit it, I knew what I was doing with the first paragraph.
ReplyDeleteYeah since we have turned him around he has tried once and I got onto him and he got this "ok being turned around is not as fun as I thought" look on his face. ha!!
Yeah, he is old enough and heavy enough, but it's always safer to remain rear-facing as long as possible. I have friends who've lost a child in an accident and I just never want to go through that. I have really struggled with this decision but I guess there will always be pros and cons.
ReplyDeleteBut now his cute little face is a distraction in the rear-view mirror...
ReplyDeleteI SO thought you were preggo!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI really don't think you should feel bad. I mean, you kept him rear facing as long as you could and seriously, my parents and all other older parents I know had their kids front facing right after the infant seat!!
I just knew you were going to say you were pregnant! I see I was not alone on that thought :)
ReplyDeleteI thought the pregnant thing too! hahaha I know you want to keep them RF as long as possible. We did with Kyndra until she outgrew the height of the seat RF and then switched her to FF. I think you made the better choice of the 2 you had. It's ok!!
ReplyDeletefocus, carl, focus :)
ReplyDelete