1.21.2010

One more milestone.

Today was Benjamin's 1 Year Checkup. Everything went well and the doctor said he was perfect (as she usually does!). He weighed in at 21#2oz, and is 29inches tall. He is in his 25th percentile in both weight and height. He's started to slow down in growth but the doctor said it was normal. He's started keeping the weight off by practicing his new hobby: walking! If only that worked as well for me! Actually, I'm sure it would if I'd make time to do it!

Anyway, I realized today what has been slowly happening for some time now. I guess I've been in denial thus far but after this doctor visit, it's plain to see... Benjamin has been slowly weening himself. We're down to 1-2 feedings per day. Usually that is at bedtime and if he wakes up at night and just can't calm himself. I'm glad that he is growing up and becoming a big boy... but this has just been a special bond that we've had his whole life. I feel like I'm losing a part of me with this. But then I don't want those sorts of things to define who I am and my relationship with my baby.

I guess we're all just growing and changing.

For all you mommies who wake up in the middle of the night to feed your baby, or have to find ways and places to do it during the day - cherish it. Because it's going to end some day and you'll miss it.

We bought some whole milk for Benjamin this afternoon. The doctor said he can have some in a cup during the day.

This is indeed a milestone.

-------

Oh, I just found out that my cousin is going to have a baby boy! Now to find out what her sister is having! I'm excited!

post signature

5 comments:

  1. Glad everything went well with his appointment!
    Weaning was hard (I had some difficulties and ended up weaning at around 4 months). I wish I could have nursed longer . . .oh well, hopefully the next time around.

    By the way, I tried to comment on your 365 and it looks like the comments aren't working right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly weaned herself a lot earlier, around 6 mos, and I was glad at first, and now, 2 years later I miss it! Those time are truly to be cherished!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly weaned herself a lot earlier, around 6 mos, and I was glad at first, and now, 2 years later I miss it! Those time are truly to be cherished!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you, Momma. When Jay weaned, Carrie Anne was already well on her way. I was glad to be able to have a break between weaning him and having her, so I was kind of thankful when he weaned. But it was still sad.
    Now, with Carrie Anne, I really savor those sweet nursing moments even more. When she wakes me up half way through the night to nurse, I can't help but adore her tiny little dimpled body curled up against me. Those moments are so fleeting, and so special. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wished that I could've BF longer! I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!