Apparently an e-mail went out to women everywhere telling them to post their bra colors as their status on facebook in an effort to raise awareness and support for breast cancer and the victims of this terrible disease. The meaning of these colors were supposed to be kept a secret from the men and in fact the e-mail seemed to indicate that one of the purposes was to confuse men.
HELLO, THIS IS THE INTERNET. There are no secrets on the internet. I mean, seriously. If an entire manuscript for a book can be leaked out on the internet, don't you think a little secret like what the colors mean will be leaked out too? There were some people that were saying, "This was not for the men to know about, it was supposed to be secret." And although I know this is grammatically incorrect, this is where I say, "Are you for real?!"
I mean, really. Are you for real?!
I do not think it is right to post bra colors on the internet. I know it was for a good cause, I know it was to 'spread awareness', and I know it was supposed to remain a secret. But this is the internet. There are no secrets on the internet. And on top of that, how can a color raise awareness? Especially if it is kept secret? The only thing I felt aware of when I saw all these colors was the number of my friends who had absolutely no self-respect, and no respect for God's commandments on modesty, and no respect for other people.
Woops, there. I let it slip. Yep, I do believe this is an issue that involves overstepping God's commandments.
Telling your friends list about what color your underwear is is nothing short of immodest. The only person who should ever know what my underwear looks like is my husband. You know, there was a point in time when things like panties and bras were called "unmentionables". Or perhaps a more modern term, "intimates". You know, maybe I'm just not a "modern woman", but I feel like private things need to remain just that: private.
I am a young wife to a young husband. Quite frankly, I do not feel like my husband needs to know the color of every on of his female friends' bras on facebook. In fact, we would have a serious sit-down conversation if my husband went around asking women what color their undergarments were, even if it were "for a good cause". In fact, I am quite sure that even if it were "for a good cause" and my husband asked any one of those women what color their bras were, he'd probably get a sharp slap across the face quicker than you can say "ARE YOU FOR REAL?!"
While intentions were obviously innocent - I see that it was supposed to be harmless fun and a secret - when someone spoke out against it saying that it was offensive, I have to wonder why instead of following after 1 Corinthians 8:3-14 and just abstaining because it was known it was offensive, it was adamantly defended.
I saw this mostly after my husband spoke out against this shocking new trend. You know what? We ladies don't know how a man's mind works. And to me, if a man says something is immodest and can create unclean thoughts in a man's mind, it's probably a good idea that we cease in that activity. Consider what a non-Christian male friend of my husband said in his facebook status that night, "kudos to whatever guy thought up this idea of getting girls to post their bra colors on FB." Yep. You know exactly what he was thinking about that night. You never know what sort of thoughts you might put in someone's mind once they figure out that the colors mean you're wearing a fancy bra (or not fancy - or even none at all - yes! some women admitted to that even!). Sinful, sinful thoughts.
"It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones." Luke 17:2
That is what our Savior had to say about those who would cause someone else to stumble! I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty serious to me, and I want to make sure I don't create any sort of stumbling block for any of my brothers in Christ by posting my bra color for all to see!
I'm sorry, I have to say it again. Are you for real? Have we seriously sank so low that we have become desensitized by the world? Have our consciences really been seared so completely? Have we really become as those mentioned in Jeremiah 6:15 who have forgotten how to blush? These sorts of things draw attention to totally inappropriate things, and not to Breast Cancer Awareness.
If anyone wants to spread Breast Cancer Awareness, why not do it with the pink ribbon that cannot be mistaken for anything but Breast Cancer Awareness? Why not give out information about it or perhaps show them the website www.BreastCancerAwareness.com?
Posting your undergarment colors for all to see is inappropriate and immodest. I don't care what you say the cause is.
How would you feel if Christ were your Facebook friend and saw you posting your bra colors for all to see?
"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5:10.
It was bad enough to find out what the colors meant but what about when our husbands found out?? It's hard enough to live amongst the world but how upsetting when those who call themselves Christians put it in their face.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. I had a friend send me an email about it and I will be the first one there supporting a great cause and I do keep the link on my blog to support breast cancer. It was just a color, I never meant to offend anyone.
ReplyDeletePlease accept my apologies.
Very eloquent! I couldn't agree more.
ReplyDeletei have to say i thought it wasn't such a great plan and even said, how is that supposed to raise awarness... i am pretty sure breast cancer is the most well publicised illness around, and i am surea dodgy guy came up with it. ... i choose to pass on posting although many of my frinds, christians and not, married and not choose to post. Alot if my choice came down to the fact that as a female youth pastor I have alot of my youth on facebook and the majority are male and the last thing in the world i want them thinking about is what underwear i am wearing. I do agree it doesnt matter what age we live in that is definately outside of what I am sure God meant when he requied of us to maintain modesty. Kudos to you for having the boldness to state what you believe.
ReplyDeleteVery well worded, excellent post, Kristen. Thanks for being willing to speak up about this issue. I agree with everything you said... and "are you for real?" is exactly what I thought. May we women pay attention to common sense and use a lot more discretion in matters like this!
ReplyDeleteAmen! Very well written post and I couldn't agree more!!
ReplyDeleteKristen,
ReplyDeleteThanks for you comment on my post about this issue.
I'm still floored at our society's lack of discernment. And, as you mentioned, that we as women don't do anything about our immodesty unless a man says something and many still think it's their problem not ours!!
I just don't get it and think it's time we start talking about this very real and skirted around issue.
Great post, I loved reading your take on it and the Bible references.
Good post Kristen. When I figured out what was going on I thought for a split second about posting mine then thought, "Whose business, but my husband's is this?" I agree that if a man says it could cause sinful things women should listen. Who else would know better than a man? Our minds just do not work the same way. I often wonder why people feel it necessary to tell the facebook world the things they do! :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't post my color because like you, I thought it was a tad bit inappropriate. I was confused on how it was to raise the money? Oh well. Thanks for posting this and standing up for what you believe in!
ReplyDeleteThere have been a great deal of facebook virus emails going out. These emails are NOT from facebook. So many ppl think the emails are really from facebook. Thank you for saying what you said. I did not do the color thing and found it a bit odd. Then a day later I figured out what it was Thank God.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100%!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this....I thought I was the only one who felt it was inappropriate and I started to feel kind of bad by day two when I didn't participate. I was thinking, I'm horrible because I'm not raising awareness, and here my best friend's mom is battling breast cancer. I just didn't feel right about posting it, and it was funny by day two, all of a sudden everyone had wild and colorful colors, instead of just white or black. Did you notice that too? As if they were making sure to impress everyone. Crazy! So, thanks for the biblical perspective on it, especially when you said would you want Jesus to see that on FB if He were your friend on there. Great point!
ReplyDeleteNever thought about it like that. Thank you Kristen!
ReplyDelete