1.24.2010

Why I Blog

Every time I sit down and write, I like to think about why I blog before I actually write something. I like to think about what sort of message I want to put out, how I want to convey myself to the rest of the world. I don't act "fake", but I always want to make sure anything I say is said with a loving, Christian attitude. There have been times I would sit down having read or heard something and just want to fly off the handle. But I don't write to get back at someone, or to prove a point. And I have to remind myself this every single time. I sometimes have a hard time with jumping the gun, so this is necessary!

I blog to help people and to encourage people. I like to edify others as the Bible commands, and hopefully to bring others to Christ. This is very important to me, so the way I write and what I write should be thought about. And I've got to tell you, if I had finished and published all those posts that I had been ready to write and post, this blog would have such a different atmosphere and I doubt I'd have made so many friends by it! If all I did was come on here to vent, I don't see how I could be as encouraging as I strive to be in my daily life. I want to be a good example to others.

I blog to help myself, too. I'm a young wife, and a young mother. There are a lot of times when I just don't think I know what I'm doing. Blogging is another way for me to connect with other mothers who have been where I am and where I'm going. I appreciate all the encouragement I get from you all! Being a mother is tough. Being a preacher's wife is tough enough - you get scrutinized more than "regular" Christians (although preachers and preacher's wives are just the same as any other Christian, or should be!). Mothers, though, are also scrutinized more than "regular" wives. Our children are looked at everywhere we go. Our houses are looked at because somehow in between feeding mouths and wiping bottoms and pouring juice and doctor visits and baths, we're supposed to also be super cleaners with every little thing put away. Don't you just love it when you meet that person who says "You know? It doesn't matter." - that person is your new best friend! I love connecting to moms here who totally get what I'm going through or dealing with!

I also blog because my son is growing up too fast. I like to be able to access my memories and see what Ben was doing when. I hope I can keep this up long enough to blog about our future children, whenever they may come along. All in the good Lord's timing.

These are just a few things I remind myself when I sit down to write. I ask myself a few questions:

1. Why am I writing this?
2. Is what I am writing edifying to others, or harmful?
3. Do my words bring glory to God?
4. Would I care if God were following my blog, or would I be embarrassed to know he read it? *And I know God knows our very thoughts and knows everything we ever say or do, but this is a good reminder to keep me in check*
5. Am I portraying a Christ-like attitude?
6. Will I regret this when I go back and read it later?

7. Why are there fruit loops all over my floor?

That last one isn't one that I ask myself every time I blog. But the question did just come across my mind, so you know what's going on over here. And that's my cue! My little man in moose jammies is so cute this morning and oh dear. He just tripped with a mini box of fruit loops and they are all over the floor again...

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kristen! I for one really enjoy the atmosphere, etc. of your blog and am always encouraged by the things you choose to write! The insanely adorable pictures of Benjamin are a big plus, too. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've pondered this question myself. I have told myself that I blog for me-to keep a journal of the things that we (our family) are up to. But, part of me is so disappointed when I don't get many comments. I find myself wondering why certain people that used to leave comments don't anymore. Even though I know they are reading my blog. So, I have to remind myself why I blog. It's for me, not comments. Anyway...that's my struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps if Carl would change out of his moose jammies, he wouldn't trip so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your blog and I love you and your family. You are loving, spiritual, kind, and a beautiful mother and person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that you do succeed in encouraging other Christians/wives/mothers out there - or this one at least! I love reading your blog and keeping up with you on facebook. I think you are doing a fantastic job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I always strive to be real. I like being myself and people who accept me for me!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!