2.18.2010

I {heart} Pilates

I am not a fitness queen. I hate fitness. I love being fit but I hate what it takes to get there. I always hated P.E. in school, and was so glad when I was homeschooled because I wasn't required to run laps daily. Since having a baby, though, I have become a lot more self conscious about my body and the way I look. I definitely don't weigh close to what I did at the peak of my pregnancy (thankfully!), but I don't weigh very close to what I did before, either. The pudge has settled into areas I have never had pudge before. At first I was really embarrassed by it. And then I was downright depressed about it. I whined and complained. And then I just sort of got over it. Mostly. Because then I started doing Pilates.

I always say I don't want to be skinny. But I'm going to be real with you. I'd like to get there again. Not as skinny as I used to be, aka freakishly skinny. But let's face it. I am 21 years old. A year and 9 months ago I weighed in at 109. Yes, 109. So going from that to where I am now means a lot has changed. My arms are still puny (I used to have a big issue with my arms), but there are a few areas that could use some shaping up.

I have accepted the way I look. Don't get me wrong - I know God made me in the image of Him, and that the outward doesn't matter nearly as much as the inside. But I would like to feel a little better about myself. Am I talking my way in circles? I do care, but I am happy, too. Does that make sense?

I apologize for my rambling, I'll get to the point:



Pilates = new best friend.

That's right! The self-proclaimed exercise hater has been exercising. We started doing Pilates back in January when the exercise DVD's were on sale at Target. It has been fantastic! We have gotten from the Easy DVD to the Intermediate DVD. I haven't quite mastered that, yet. There are still some exercises that I feel like screaming during.

Pilates has been relaxing, energizing, and dare I say it, fun! I feel better, and you may not believe it, but I look trimmer already! I can't say much for the numbers dropping but at least I feel like I look better. Pilates works on your core - you know, the one that is put all out of whack when you are growing a child!

I'm not endorsing any company with this. I just wanted to share this with any of you new mothers (or any mothers) who might be struggling like I did - and sometimes on my bad days, still do.

Do any of you exercise at all? What sorts of things do you do to keep in shape? Or, if you're a mom, how'd you deal with your new body?

Photo source: Here.

post signature

9 comments:

  1. I don't deal well at all with my new body. But then, I didn't like my body before I had a baby either. I guess you could say I have body issues. Now when I look back at pictures from before (when I thought I was fat) I realize that I looked much better than I thought. I'm sure you saw that I'm doing that cardio dance video...I've only actually done it twice, but when I did, it definitely was a full body work out. I really enjoy yoga and am trying to find a video I like that doesn't have half naked women in it because I'm trying to talk Justin into giving it a try as well. The yoga breathing and relaxation techniques are great as well as the physical aspects, but I'm not into the whole ohm/one with the universe thing. I have done pilates before and really enjoyed it when I did.
    Lately, what seems to have helped is cooking more at home. We pick up fast food and food from resturaunts much less. I'm also trying to actually prepare things and not just fix a frozen meal. Not to say that everything is from scratch, believe me, I do use short cuts. :) People have actually been noticing that I'm getting a little thinner. Whoo hoo!
    And my comment is way too long, so I'll stop there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I've never tried pilates but would really like to! I've done Traci Anderson's post preggo dvd and like it, but it's such a long workout, now I just do parts of it along with working out at Curves and walking. I'm 6lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight but alot farther away from pre preggo size/shape! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do yall have netflix or anything like that? Carl said he is putting some fitness things on Netflix and we're gonna see how we like those as well.

    It is so nice when people notice! We've been eating out less, too, and we cook with turkey meat instead of ground beef now!

    Always enjoy your comments, Micah! Can't wait to see you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's the one thing. It's not like I care so much about the numbers, it's the way the numbers have settled. I LOVE walking with the family! We're getting back into it as it keeps warming up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely have to agree with you...like being fit but don't like doing what it takes to get there!! I have a couple pilates DVDs, and I like doing that, but I'm not at the moment. I do yoga, which I really like because it's relaxing, and helps with flexibility, while at the same time really working and toning your muscles. But even when doing that, I usually feel like I need to do some sort of cardio as well. What I do for my cardio changes alot. :\

    ReplyDelete
  6. we do have netflix and I have been trying out some dvd's from there. I found one I really like, but it's the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders one so they are showing a lot of skin. It's fine for me, but not if I want to get Justin to try out yoga also! :)

    I know, I'm so excited about seeing y'all too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Micah, do you have anyway to do Instant Watch? We found some things through there that could work. Pilates, yoga and some others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My prepreg weight with Kyndra was 116 and my prepreg weight with Carleigh was 109. I'm not sure what my prepreg weight with this one is. One scale read 108 and another read 111. Not sure how there could be a 3 lb difference but whatever! lol It really doesn't matter what number I weigh b/c my body just simply won't be the same again after having kids. Mainly the stomach region and the boobs!! I've never tried pilates. I actually haven't worked out since 2005. I really do miss it. I occasionally will do something but not on a regular basis to be worthy enough to call it an exercise routine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we do have instant watch. I'll have to get on there and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!