Ever since I had a child I have become more aware of what has been going on in the "motherhood" community. I've learned a lot of wonderful things concerning cloth diapering, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, homeschooling, and many other things. However, I've also come across a lot of different things that sort of incense me. Perhaps you have noticed as well and agree with me. Perhaps you don't agree with me. But I've been thinking a lot lately on a specific subject and since I am able to speak my mind on my blog, I'm going to.
I want to talk about nursing in public. It is such a hot topic now days because of the controversy. I believe breastfeeding is the best way to nourish your child. I believe God created our bodies so that we could take care of our children the best way we can. I am all for spreading awareness and all for it becoming more accepted. I am not, however, all for women doing so in public with no discretion whatsoever.
This to me is not an issue of Rights. It is an issue of Modesty, and an issue of God's Standards.
When I recently shared my views about nursing in public discretely, I was told that just because I was comfortable nursing "modestly" did not mean everyone else had to. I was told that my "standard" of modesty was not the same as others and should not be held to others. I was absolutely flabbergasted, because I had stated that as a Christian, I could not justify nursing in public and being immodest in so doing.
It isn't My standard.
It's God's standard.
My standard of modesty means nothing if it isn't aligned with God's standards. God's standards are perfect and all are subject to them. I know that this is sometimes debated, whether those who aren't Christians are held to the same standards, but consider the book of Jonah. Jonah was sent by God to Nineveh to preach to them and call them to repent or God would destroy the nation. This nation was not a nation which followed God. They worshiped their own gods and all in all they were extremely immoral. And yet God held them to His standards, even if they did not worship Him. Just because they worshiped some other gods did not make them immune to the God of Heaven's standards.
God's standards encompass all. 2 Corinthians 5:10 says we will ALL stand at the judgment seat of Christ.
"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad."
Consider this passage concerning God's standards for us women:
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Titus 2:5
We are to be discreet, which means to show good judgment, and chaste, which means to be morally pure in thought and act - also meaning modest.
While I do support breastfeeding and stand behind any woman who chooses to nourish her child in this way, I do believe that God's standards even encompass nursing mothers and we should all make sure we are doing so in a manner that is pleasing to God. So many people also say that it is impossible to modestly nurse a child in public, but I disagree. I nursed Benjamin for a little over 12 months (he's just been weened this week - which is very emotional for me so I'm not going to talk about that) and I have never flashed anyone while doing so! And Benjamin is even one of those children who won't keep a blanket over him. It's possible, with practice.
Next time you start getting worked up about your "rights" as a nursing mother, think about God's standards and whether or not your "rights" fall under His standards.
As I usually say when posting a 'spiritual post', you might not agree with me. But this is what I believe.
Kristen and Courtney,
ReplyDeleteTruly, I think you are BOTH saying the same thing. I really do. Just in a different way. And, I think you both would agree that it's the heart condition of person in the situation who is nursing her baby.
I have seen, WITH MY OWN EYES, women who choose to make a spectacle of nursing their baby. They raise (or lower) their shirt much more than is necessary. When their baby unlatches, they allow their breast to remain exposed for an extended period of time, without attempting to cover themself (and not b/c they are waiting for their baby to latch back on).
Let me be clear, I VERY much supporting nursing, and even nursing in public (and by public I don't mean in a public bathroom while sitting on a toilet...I don't want to eat in the bathroom & I don't expect my baby to either). But, I do believe that modesty and nursing CAN and DO go hand-in-hand. What is the intent of nursing? Sure, it's for nourishment for the baby. But (and I'm sure you can agree Courtney) there ARE some women who take using their bodies for its God-given purpose overboard.
On the other hand, I don't think that you necessarily MUST HAVE a nursing cover or blanket or some other such "covering" to be discreet and enjoy nursing your baby in public.
In the video you posted on your blog Courtney (which led me here Kristen, and I'm glad it did!) I did not see ONE mother trying to use breastfeeding as a way to gain attention and attribute to immodesty.
Maybe I'm putting words into both of your mouths, and if I am, I'm sorry. But I really feel that both of you are saying similar things. Breastfeeding is natural, beautiful and God-given. However, if a breastfeeding mother's motives are to attract attention to HERSELF (and her breasts) while breastfeeding, rather than discreetly (or even casually) feeding her baby, then maybe she should rethink her desires for having her baby at the breast.
Thank you both for allowing me to examine my own motives as I prepare to breastfeed our next baby! What a wonderful discussion.
Well put! Someone SO needed to say it. Thank you for your honesty! :)
ReplyDelete