3.05.2010

Clean

Happy Friday!

Today has been a busy day for me so far. Right now Mariah is napping. Benjamin was in his crib earlier until I started hearing delighted squeals and raspberries coming from his room, so I retrieved him {so he wouldn't wake up Mariah}. Now he is sitting here at the table with me eating his fruit snacks and ritz crackers. Me, I'm eating a Special K protein bar, which doesn't taste too bad, to be honest. I'm also thinking about the Daily Scripture.

Did you see it?

“And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.” - Deuteronomy 6:6-7

One of the reasons I added the daily verse was not only to share a verse a day with my friends, but because they are often thought-provoking for me. I like to take the verse and meditate on it throughout the day. On days where I do this, my day always seems brighter.

I love that verse, Deuteronomy 6:6-7. It puts in perspective the real, true responsibility we parents have. There are so many parents who make the biggest fuss over the littlest things, like having the perfect appearance, having nice cars, having a pristine home, doing exciting, fun things all the time. I'm not saying any of those are sin - but sometimes we prioritize and forget what should be at the top of the list: God.

Benjamin loves his Bible Class. Whenever we go to church, he always runs into his classroom before we've even started, before anyone even gets to the building. He loves to see my Bible and to turn the pages. He is all smiles when we sing his favorite Bible class songs. He loves to look through his animals and hear about creation.

I love that he loves Bible class. There are some days when he is a bit too cranky to really love anything, but usually Bible class is very fun and exciting.

But, Bible class will not be the main source of Bible learning. There are so many teachable moments throughout the day, and I need to make it a priority to take advantage of this. I can spend all day cleaning and doing laundry and organizing, or I can spend the majority of my time teaching my son about God and the Bible and Jesus and the Church. I did this for a while yesterday when Benjamin and I were in his playing with his toys. We listened to his Bible Song CD, and Benjamin enjoyed it.

This is something that is always on my mind. I was fortunate enough to have been taught from a young age to love God and the Bible, and I want the same for Benjamin. I might go a day without folding a piece of laundry or picking up the living room, but as long as I don't go a day without teaching my son, I'm perfectly okay with this.

Clean or not clean, my house isn't going to last through eternity, but Benjamin's soul will - and whether or not his heart is clean in the end is what matters.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize there could be a class for such little ones. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this post. What a great reminder our awesome responsibility. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish more parents understood the importance of teaching their little ones at home! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gotta feed him the daily bread! Good for you and I like this post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!