3.16.2010

sew geeky

I decided last night that I will no longer let my big Christmas gift from years ago go to waste. My mom bought me a nice {not TOO nice, though... sometimes I'd rather not have a piece of technology that thinks for me} sewing machine when I expressed interest in the hobby. Well, I tried last year to sew up some diapers for Benjamin when the elastic gave out, and that was the first time I used the machine. And today was the second.

Last night I cleared a place in the laundry room for my machine and today I dusted it off and began my first ever actual sewing {not repairing} project. We went out to town yesterday and I bought material from Hobby Lobby - 2 prints - with the intent of making a luggage tag. But I wanted to start off with something a little simpler, so I decided to make a camera strap slipcover for my camera, using this tutorial.

After tracing and cutting and folding and ironing, I found out that I couldn't thread my machine correctly, and then couldn't find the manual.

Two YouTube videos and 45 minutes {yes, I know. and no, I'm not exaggerating} later, I finally got things working and this is the product of my labor:




That was before I clipped some of the stray threads. So, what do you think? I think it looks pertay good for my first go.

Other than that, today I have cleaned a bit {not as much as yesterday by any means} and have food in the crock pot for Lost Night tonight. For all you Losties, here's a question. Do you have a Lost shirt? {Insert joke: I did but then I found it - ba da ting!} Hubby ordered one for me last night... I won't spoil the surprise but it's pretty awesome. And here I was raggin' on the old Hubs for being a massive geek and buying a Lost shirt...

So either he is normal or I'm also a massive geek. Which do you think?

Yeah, me too.

normal Massive Geek.


post signature

13 comments:

  1. I 'sew' want one of those camera straps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I just got my machine back from being repaired and need to do something with it. I haven't even ever actually used it but my mom has when she's come to visit.

    Lost was pretty good, can't wait for the Richard episode next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the camera strap cover! I made my first one in early February! So fun!

    If you want to see a picture, here's mine: http://myblessedlife.net/2010/02/cute-camera-strap-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaah! I want one! can you share how to make one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to use my "too nice" of a sewing machine tomorrow. I am having a friend come over and help me thread it because I have zero clue what I am doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they aren't difficult to make! I thought it might be cheaper than buying one offline

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear it isn't hard to pick up on. I figured it might be a fun hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can't wait either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!! Thanks for the link, Myra. I need more tutorials. I saw your laptop sleeve too, CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Astie, I used this tutorial: http://madebypetchy.blogspot.com/2008/11/tutorial-camera-strap-slipcover.html
    It was so simple to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! :)
    I love your strap!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:6

I am always happy to hear from you! I do read all your comments, even if I do not get around to responding! You can e-mail me at kris.renee.j@gmail.com and I'll respond as quickly as possible!